A YOUNG mother is planning to sue chemical firm ICI after her 37-year-old husband died from an asbestos-related disease.

Three years ago, Keith Abbey, from Stockton, died from malignant mesothelioma, a lung cancer caused by exposure to asbestos fibres.

The disease takes about three to five decades to develop and, although as a labourer Mr Abbey handled asbestos during his work, it is thought the exposure probably took place when he was a child.

Mr Abbey used to play in the Furness Hostel, a disused building near the shipyards at Haverton Hill, which is believed to have contained asbestos.

Paul Webber, from solicitors Irwin Mitchell, who is acting on behalf of Mr Abbey's wife, Meryl, said ICI once owned the building.

He said: "In connection with the case, I would like to speak to anyone else who used to play in the building, or who perhaps worked there."

Mr Abbey's condition was revealed a few years ago when he began suffering pains, and an x-ray showed he had the lung condition.

He died within five months, leaving his wife and three children.

A spokesman for ICI said: "We are aware of this particular case but feel legally unable to comment in detail at this stage."

Anyone who may be able to help Mr Webber is asked to contact him on 0870 1500 100.