Sunderland Arrows have gained promotion to the English U16 North A League following a draw and victory from two games at the weekend.

Arrows had a win over Blackburn Eagles and a draw with Sheffield Greyhounds in the North Promotion/Relegation play-off fixtures.

The Wearsiders' home matches have been played at Billingham Ice Arena due to no home ice and Blackburn were visitors on Saturday to Teesside Arrows who went ahead through Daniel Murdy at 02.31 and Dean Holland doubled the lead at 04.44 before Murdy grabbed his second a minute later.

Blackburn scored twice early in the second period to cut the deficit to one. Arrows were holding off the North A side and went into a 4-2 lead in the 35th minute when short-handed through Chris Hayes. The victory was wrapped up when Holland scored his second after 39 minutes.

Sunderland finished runners-up to Sheffield Greyhounds in the regular North B league season trailing by a single point. The two teams met a fortnight ago in Sheffield where Arrows gained a massive 6-0 win. The return was not as comfortable from a 2-2 draw.

Arrows knew a point would see them gain promotion while Sheffield required a victory. Greyhounds took the lead after eight minutes and Murdy levelled the scores four minutes later. Ben Connon put Sunderland ahead on the powerplay at 16.298 and could have increased.

Sheffield plugged away and were level once more with a powerplay goal at 36.26. Arrows' Jeremy Lundin and Greyhounds' Michael Jagiellowicz swapped blows following the goal and went for early showers.

A share of the spoils was enough for Sunderland to go back to the A league following relegation the previous season.

Arrows (v Blackburn): Daniel Murdy, Dean Holland 2+0, Chris Hayes 1+0, Adam Kelly 0+1.

(v Sheffield): Murdy, Ben Connon 1+0, Daniel Lathan 0+1.

Sunderland Tomahawks entertained Solihull Knights in the English U19 North Promotion/Relegation play-offs at Billingham having beaten Telford Trojans 4-3 and Solihull having lost 13-1 to Telford. Tomahawks were confident of a victory. Maybe over-confident as Knights returned home 4-2 winners.

Solihull went ahead after seven minutes through Rhys McWilliams. Tomahawks could not get an equaliser until two minutes into the middle period through Keith Barker and Michael Allinson put Sunderland ahead for the only time in the match at 26.02.

Ninety seconds later Solihull were level as they become the dominant side. Richard Lawson in Tomahawks net made a series of fine saves to keep the scores level. He was beaten twice in the 50th minute ten seconds apart as Solihull went 4-2 ahead. McWilliams scored all four goals.

All three teams have two points from two games in the play-offs and Tomahawks' remaining fixtures are at Solihull (May 24) and at Telford (May 25). Solihull go to Telford on Sunday for the other match still to be played.

Tomahawks: Keith Barker, Michael Allinson 1+0.

Billingham Bears travelled to Nottingham for the English Junior championship play-off at the weekend. Bears finished runners-up in the U16 North A and faced winners of South A, Swindon Leopards in the semi-finals. Swindon too 30 seconds to go ahead before Ricky Box equalised for Bears at 02.05 and Leopards regained the lead only 35 seconds later.

Bears were much improved in the middle session and were rewarded with goals from Steven Pritchard and Box in a four-minute spell to go 3-2 ahead.

Swindon drew level in the first minute of the final period and with a little under three minutes remaining struck the winning goal.

It was a game they should have won, but were guilty of a few glaring misses.

Bears faced Peterborough jets in the third/fourth place play-off on Sunday. Liam Telfer gave Bears an 11th minute advantage. Jets went 2-1 ahead with goals either side of the first interval.

Back came Billingham and two goals in 90 seconds from Telfer and Box put them into a 3-2 lead at 29.42. Peterborough struck after 37 minutes for 3-3. Sudden death overtime failed to bring a winner and penalty shots would decide.

Jets scored from their first, Robert Dowd opened Bears account only for Jets to take a 2-1 lead. Telfer stepped up to take Bears' next penalty shot and was saved by Evan King in the Peterborough net.

Bears were unlucky not to win, but performed well and with a little luck may have done better.

Bears (v Swindon): Ricky Box 2+1, Steven Pritchard 1+0, James Udell 0+1.

(v Peterborough): Liam Telfer 2+0, Robert Dowd 1+1, Box 1+0, Anthony Price, Pritchard 0+1.

Whitley Bay Mischiefs began their English U12 North Promotion/Relegation play-offs by defeating Flintshire Flyers 4-2 at Deeside. Callum Watson put Mischiefs ahead at 05.33 and Flyers equalised five minutes later. Liam Brown and Watson gave Whitley a 3-1 advantage close to the end of the first period. Before it did Flintshire cut the deficit.

Watson hit his hat-trick marker on 22 minutes to restore the two-goal lead and get Whitley off to the best of starts.

Mischiefs: Callum Watson 3+0, Liam Brown 1+0, Paul Husband, Craig Lydall, Bobby Mole 0+1.