Great Broughton and Scruton were involved in a high-scoring game which the home side won by 49 runs.

When they batted first they posted 192 for nine as Andre White hit one six and 11 boundaries in an unbeaten 77. Barratt was the most productive bowler in the Scruton attack and he ended with figures of six for 56 from 18 overs, six of which were maidens.

When Scruton replied opener Plews gave the innings a good start with 38 and Craig, batting at number four, added 47 with a couple of sixes and five boundaries, but eventually the innings ended on 143 for nine as Roger Briddock captured six wickets for 57 runs in 20 over and Andrew White had four for 77, also from a 20 overs stint.

Kildale made a huge total of 301 for six at Thimbleby who managed 88 all out in reply.

Dan Doughty was the star of the Kildale innings as he carried his bat for 101 after openers Pearson (59) and Cook (69) had given Kildale the perfect start. Simpson captured three of the six wickets to fall for 69 runs, but when Thimbleby replied they found man of the match Dan Doughty in super form. He picked up six wickets for 33 runs and his father Dave had two for 11 as only Middlemiss with 39 offered much resistance in the Thimbleby innings.

The Chopgate batsmen also struggled in their home game with East Harlsey and were dismissed for a mere 48 runs as Dave Willey claimed seven wickets for just 22 runs and John Grange had three for 22.

East Harsley won without conceding a wicket with Mason making 23 not out and Broadley an unbeaten 18.

Newcomers Skelton Castle defeated Ingleby Greenhow by 73 runs. Wilkinson (33), Hoggarth with 81 and Gratton (43no) led Skelton Castle to a total of 213 for six with Jones returning three for 41 for Ingleby Greenhow.

When the home side went into bat they lost early wickets but realised 140 including 34 extras. Top scorer with the bat was Sonley with 22. Hoggarth completed a good day for Skelton Castle capturing three wickets for 25 runs and Grant, Robson and Stainthorpe all took two wickets each.

After realising 203 for six Kirby Sigston restricted Hutton Rudby to 130 for nine and won by a margin of 73 runs. Neil Kendrew was the star performer in the Kirby Sigston attack picking up five wickets for 17 runs. Green (20), Reed (25) and Cook with 23 scored most of the runs for Hutton Rudby.

Batting first the home side were indebted to Raynor for his opening contribution of 39 and to Thompson (30), Clarkson (46) and Harper with 42.

Maltby reached 351 for six in their home game with Swainby who in reply totalled only 64 for nine. Hutchinson was in magnificent form for Maltby and made 177 before being caught while Francis contributed a half-century and Cowen made 33. Shinwell took four of the six wickets to fall for 124 runs.

Responding Swainby were soon up against it and Aldus and Hall both picked up three cheap wickets for Maltby.

At Crathorne, Stafford Place lost by 16 runs. Batting first Crathorne ended on 139 all out which included 38 by Mooney and 39 from Whitfield, while for Stafford Place Robson had the creditable figures of four for 39 and Smith also bowled well taking three for 36.

When they went into bat Stafford Place were soon in trouble, but 42 from Smith raised their hopes. In the end, though, the bowling of Leng (4-58) and Bruce (6-43) who shared the attack throughout, proved decisive.

Foster's Northumberland & Tyneside Senior League

Under-18s Cup

Whickham progressed to the next round of the competition with an emphatic ten wickets victory at Greenside, who were all out for 42 which included 24 by Daniel Linton. Man of the match was Adam Ainley, who claimed six wickets for just five runs in five overs. Morton then steered Whickham home without losing a wicket as he carried his bat for 29 hitting one six and three boundaries.

Ryton had 50 runs in hand of Chopwell after posting 104 for one which included an unbeaten 56 by John Docherty. Chopwell managed just 54 for six including 22 by Wilkinson and in the Ryton attack Adam Wilkin claimed two wickets for one run in three overs and Richard Smith had two for 17 from the four overs he sent down.

Swalwell also progressed into the second round defeating Lanchester by seven wickets. Batting first the home side totalled 111 for seven of which Ian Stewart with three sixes and six boundaries in 46 top scored while Darren Wingfield gave support with 21, finding the boundary line on two occasions.

Annfield Plain's Aaron Leathley was just four runs short of a century when the overs expired for Annfield Plain. The talented youngster hit three sixes and 16 boundaries in 96 not out which together with 42 by Navid Ahmed, who struck six fours, enabled the Plain to reach 170 for one. Chris Robinson carried his bat for 22 towards the end of the innings hitting three sixes.

In reply Burnopfield were restricted to 72 for eight which included 20 by Lawrence Davey who found the boundary four times. Scott Harrison captured three wickets for ten runs in five overs and Ahmed had two for 11 from four overs in the Annfield Plain attack.

Half centuries by Lee and Martin Hubber propelled Sacriston to 120 without loss in their game at Blaydon, who replied with 87 for six.


Newcastle went down by seven wickets when they hosted Backworth and totalled 85 for seven.

Newcastle City slumped to a big defeat at home to Tynedale for whom Barber finished undefeated on 112 out of a total of 168 for two. Replying Newcastle City made 56 for six of which Iqbal scored 26.

Tynemouth were another side to win easily in their home fixture with Ponteland. Batting first the Seasiders posted 137 for four and, replying, Ponteland were sent back to the pavilion with just 60 runs on the board.

After scoring 107 for three Benwell Hill dispatched neighbour South Northumberland for only 44 for seven. The game was eventually abandoned because of bad light.

Federation Special Durham Senior League


Stephen Gale turned in a superb man of the match performance for Chester-le-Street against Boldon at Ropery Lane.

Gale contributed 33 which together with a similar score from James Bates and 34 by Andrew Smith propelled the Cestrians to 123 for five even though Chris Simpson bowled a good end for Boldon, returning figures of three for 33. The visitors' innings collapsed at 68 for eight, Gale ending with four for four.

Paul Riddle led Hetton Lyons to a nine-wicket victory at Philadelphia, who managed only 84 for four. Riddle was undefeated with 60 out of a score of 85 for one.

Daniel Pearson was another batsman in top form for Burnmoor in their home fixture with Whitburn. He finished with 64 not out in the home team's total of 117 for one. Responding Whitburn were restricted to 88 for eight.

Marsden managed only 79 all out at Horden who won losing six wickets. Carl Bradbury top scored with 60 for South Hetton, who realised 113 for four at Felling, who replied with 61 for four.

Eppleton just had the better of South Shields winning by three wickets. Dunn carried his bat for 46 out of the South Shields' total of 95 for six with Matthew Hooper taking four for 29 for Eppleton, who were 96 for seven. Siddell, Dunn and Taylor all claimed two wickets in the South Shields attack.