Cleadon SC continue to confound the critics and are establishing themselves as genuine contenders for the championship.

Their latest success came against newcomers Gateshead Reserves and although only one goal divided the pair, Cleadon were delighted with the outcome since they played the last 25 minutes with ten men.

Mark Johnson was both the hero and villain. When he went down in the box on the hour, the referee pointed to the spot and leading scorer Andrew Quinn confidently put the penalty away.

Five minutes later though, Johnson was given his second yellow card but despite their numerical advantage, Gateshead were unable to find an equaliser.

Following two successive defeats, Stokesley SC rekindled their title hopes hitting Jarrow with a 5-0 defeat at Perth Green. They took control after the South Tynesiders were reduced to ten men in the 55th minute when they had Dean Patton ordered off.

At that stage, Stokesley led with an only goal by Jonathan Newton but Dean Talukder rifled a hat-trick and substitute James Alsop also found the net.

Darlington RA were another side to score five goals and Windscale managed just one in reply from Mark Young at Brinkburn Road. Paul Freary, free from his cricket commitments, struck three times and others on target were Martin Brown and Stephen Sinclair.

Ferryhill Athletic conceded six goals at Whitehaven. Despite Ajit Sanders reducing the deficit to just one goal midway through the first half, the Cumbrians ran out 6-1 winners with strikes by Craig Robson (3), Malcolm Holliday, Jonathan Wright and John Murphy.

Boldon CA finished 5-2 ahead at Barnard Castle Glaxo. Michael Meek and Lee Seff both bagged a brace with Mark Williams, Boldon's other marksman.

Ross Murray and an own goal accounted for Glaxo's two.

Sean Simpson (2) and Jonathan Mullen struck for Harton and Westoe and Anthony Lynch (2) and Jason Jones for Birtley Town when the sides figured in an exciting 3-3 draw while Washington Nissan UK celebrated victory defeating Annfield Plain with goals either side of half time by Jason Flanagan and Jamie Owens.

There was an frenetic finish to the game between Wolviston and Ryhope CW which ended 3-3. Anthony Douthwaite scored for the Wearsiders in the first half before an own goal by John Bell levelled the scores.

Four goals then followed in the final 14 minutes. Alan Surtees made it 2-1 to Ryhope, David Dowd fired in the equaliser and another own goal, this time by George Marley, put Wolviston in front for the first time.

In injury time, Kevin Bennison was brought down and Stephen Leadbitter equalised from the penalty spot.

North Shields made their exit from the FA Vase at the second qualifying round stage, losing 3-1 on Humberside to Hall Road Rangers. The Robins took the lead in the first minute through Dominic Riley but the home side hit back to go through with goals by Jamie Barmwell and Chris Dixon (2).