Darlington manager Mick Tait is this morning counting the cost of his side's battling 2-2 draw at Torquay.

The Quakers chief will learn the full extent of Neil Wainwright's ankle injury, picked up in the first minute at Plainmoor.

The former Sunderland man limped off, just four minutes into Saturday's draw after appearing to land awkwardly.

Striker Danny Mellanby also faces a spell on the sidelines after he was sent off for a two-footed challenge on Gulls substitute Jamie Benefield. The 24-year-old will serve a three-match ban after his dismissal.

Quakers already have midfielder Gary Pearson suspended for three more games and with Tait's squad already down to the bare bones, he faces a testing couple of weeks. "We'll be down to the youth team before long but you have to take these things on the chin and get on with your job," said Tait.

And while Tait refused to condone Mellanby's actions, he believes referee Mike Fletcher's decision to send the striker off was harsh.

"It was a silly challenge from Danny but I can't believe he was sent off for it," said Tait

"The referee said it was two-footed from him but I told him that was nonsense. It was definitely a booking but certainly not a sending off."

Mellanby will miss the games against Mansfield, Bristol Rovers and Yeovil following his dismissal.

Tait, meanwhile, has warned his side of a backlash when they travel to Premiership strugglers Wolves in the second round of the Carling Cup tomorrow.

He believes Dave Jones' men will be desperate to bounce back after their 5-0 thumping at home to Chelsea at the weekend. "They won't be too pleased coming into the game on Tuesday night after Saturday," said Tait. "It was always going to be a hard game. We are going to go there, give it our best shot and that's all we can do.

"We'll enjoy it but not too much because it's still a game that's there to be won. Anybody can win a game of football and we'll be going there knowing there's a job to be done."

Read more about the Quakers here.