TWO resounding wins have put Blaydon top of National Three North with Tynedale in second place.

Both relied on three penalties to edge them in front on Saturday before romping past 40 points with exhilarating second half displays.

Blaydon led 9-6 at home to Fylde until scrum half Nick Williams nipped over from a ruck just before half-time and they romped to a 41-6 home win.

With former Director of Rugby Andy Howells the subject of legal action, things have turned round nicely for Blaydon under the new coaching set-up led by Nick Gandy.

Although Fylde had a bulky pack they were beaten for stamina in the last 20 minutes in what some observers said was Blaydon's best 15-man performance for years.

Fly half David Dalrymple kicked the early penalties and went on to finish with 21 points while also recording his first two misses of the season.

Blaydon ran everything after the break and the first two tries came from winger Colin Duncan.

For the first he latched on to a bouncing ball, ducked under two tackles and rounded his opposite man to score.

Six minutes later he came off his wing to take a short pass and burst through the middle, then flanker Peti Keni crowned a useful debut with a late try.

It was all the more satisfying for Blaydon as Sam Walton pulled a hamstring in the warm-up, forcing flanker Charlie Roe to hook, and lock James Houghton went off injured after 20 minutes followed by No 8 James Keany at half-time.

It was a similar story at Corbridge, where three Phil Belgian penalties gave Tynedale a 9-5 interval lead against Liverpool St Helens and the floodgates opened when flanker Grant Rastall touched down seven minutes into the second half.

Four further tries were all converted by Belgian, who also added a fourth penalty for a 47-12 win.

Middlesbrough trail Morpeth narrowly on points difference at the top of North Two East after maintaining their 100 per cent record with a 30-18 win at home to York.

Scrum half Peter Wright continued his good start to the season with one of the four tries, but coach John Moore said: "It was a good team effort.

"The pack played well as a unit and pushed York off the ball several times in the scrums. We lost concentration at times, but it was one of our better performances so far."

York went ahead with a penalty, but Boro replied with a try by lock Ian Bradford and were never behind again. No 8 Dean Gardner and winger Danny Poole also scored, with fly half Danny Bishop adding two penalties and two conversions.

Moore expects his team to face a tough test next week at Hull, who are third after winning 51-16 at Horden.

There was also a heavy defeat for Stockton, who are next to the bottom without a point after losing 38-0 at Bridlington.

West Hartlepool are fourth after a 22-16 home win against Westoe, who lost the try-count 4-2 despite having more than their share of possession. A try in injury time by lock Paul Rudd sealed West's second win.

Centre Peter Hodgson, recently returned from Australia, opened the scoring for West but Paul Hagan kicked two penalties to put Westoe 6-5 up at half-time.

Hagan stretched the lead by converting his own try, but Andrew Hare and David Tighe put West back in front, with Tighe adding a conversion before Magnus Leask set up a dramatic finish by reducing the gap to 17-16.

Redcar made it two wins out of three with a 28-14 home victory against promoted Northern, who have lost all three games.

Northern opened the scoring with a try by scrum half Dave Kay, but the rest of their points came from kicks as Redcar touched down four times.

Gareth Foreman led the way with two tries and four conversions, while coach Jamie Connolly and hooker Marty Challenor also scored.