Ferryhill Athletic celebrated winning their first game of the season and did so with some style when they put five goals past Barnard Castle Glaxo who managed just a couple in reply.

Although Glaxo twice fought back to reduce the deficit, Ferryhill ended comfortable winners and moved off the bottom of the table.

Stuart Cottam struck twice in the first 27 minutes but an own goal by Kaljit Sander put the visitors back in the frame. Michael Weston made it 3-1 only for Joseph Baum to reply and at 3-2, the result was wide open.

Three goals in the space of 13 minutes ended the hopes of Glaxo. Michael Weston made it 4-2, David Raine scored Ferryhill's fourth before he was substituted by Howard Anderson, who quickly made his mark.

At the top, Cleadon are still out in front and they made it nine wins in 12 attempts, defeating Wolviston 3-2. Andrew Steel gave the visitors a fourth-minute lead and there was only a minute of the first half remaining when Mark Johnson levelled.

Paul Dixon put Cleadon ahead two minutes into the second half but when Steel converted a penalty with just five minutes remaining, the likely outcome appeared to be a draw. But in the last minute Cleadon's leading scorer Andrew Quinn clinched a crucial winning goal for his side.

Stokesley SC are second, four points behind Cleadon, following their 4-2 win at home to Ryhope CW. They led through Tony Sivills, Dean Talukder and Jonathan Newton within 33 minutes but Alan Surtees bagged a brace of goals to throw Ryhope a lifeline. Nathan Haslam though, finished off the visitors when he struck with 13 minutes remaining.

North Shields and New Marske both surrendered the last unbeaten records. Shields went down 2-1 to Birtley Town for whom Michael Ford and Craig McManus scored after Roy Gordon had given the Robins an early lead.

New Marske lost 3-2 against Gateshead Reserves at the International Stadium. Ian Johnson scored twice for the Seasiders with Ben Adusei (2) and Daryl Martin on target for Gateshead.

An only goal on 57 minutes by Joanathan Mullen was sufficient for Harton and Westoe at home to Windscale while Jarrow gave their best performance of the season defeating Whitehaven 2-1.

John Rumbles struck twice for Jarrow and there were only five minutes left when Alex Roberts gave the Cumbrians a chance but the visitors held on for only their third win.

Lee Seff (2) and Michael Meek were on target in Boldon CA's 3-1 victory over Washington Nissan UK, who are now at the basement and Darlington RA suffered a 1-0 defeat at home to Annfield Plain.