A jury yesterday watched security camera footage of an alleged murder victim setting out on the walk that led him to his death.

Security film captured the electrican George Button walking with his wife Christina and their dog out of the cul-de-sac where they lived.

It showed them walking in St Mary's Drive, West Rainton, Co Durham, away from their home and into Hall Lane - just 20 minutes before the prosecution claim he was killed.

Mr Button, 53, was attacked on March 3, as he walked his dog along a country lane close to his home near Durham City. He died in hospital two days later.

His widow, Christina, 32 and her nephew, Simon Tannahill, 20, are appearing at Newcastle Crown Court charged with his murder.

Both deny the charge.

Toby Hedworth, prosecuting, told Newcastle Crown Court the film, taken at 7.06pm from one of four cameras mounted on a neighbour's house, was unquestionably of Mr and Mrs Button.

The images have been analysed by Andrew Wooler, an expert in car identification and camera footage analysis.

Mr Wooler told the court he could identify the number plate of a car that belonged to Mr Button coming in and out of the cul-de-sac about two hours before he died.

The prosecution claims Mr Button was murdered by Mr Tannahill, between 7.10pm and 7.27pm on March 3.

It is alleged Mr Tannahill, 20, was besotted with Mrs Button, 32, and the pair colluded in the killing.

The prosecution alleges that Mrs Button was a lavish spender who got the couple into financial difficulties and plotted to murder her husband for his £450,000 life insurance. She involved Mr Tannahill after he moved into their home as a lodger and became besotted with his aunt, they said.

Mr Hedworth said Mr Tannahill hit Mr Button across the head with a blunt instrument at least six times.

He then left him for dead by the side of the road, hoping police would think Mr Button had been the victim of a hit-and-run driver.

The jury have already visited the murder scene and the family home.