New County North Durham Youth League: Leam Rangers continue to lead the Under-16 Division despite losing by an only goal to Blaydon whose hero was Liam Bell.

Blaydon are now joint-second with Cleveland Hall who went down 2-0 at Redheugh when Daniel Igo and Craig Stephenson were the marksmen.

Reighton secured their fifth win of the season defeating Birtley 3-1 and in the Under-17s section, there were wins for Redheugh and Leam Rangers.

George Whitfield (2), Craig Singh and Chris Wilson found the net for Redheugh at Beamish who replied just once through Neil Hole.

There was an exciting game between Leam Rangers and Consett which the home side won 4-3. John Storey (2), Michael Gore and Michael Younger netted for Rangers with Thomas Lavery twice on target for the Steelmen.

In the Under-17 League Cup, Cowgate just had the edge on Cleveland Hall winning 5-4 after extra time. Andrew Bulford (2), James Turner, Chris Glenhorn and Chris Fee were the marksmen for Cowgate with Chris Reay (2), Anthony Falcon and Lewis Grey responding for Cleveland Hall.

Thirsk Falcons

THE Under-12s had two matches last weekend. On Saturday they played a friendly against Ripon City Panthers, playing three 20 minute periods.

Ripon attacked for most of the first period and led 1-0 going into the second. Thirsk had the most of this period and after constant pressure equalised through an own goal. Then David Mosley scored to give Falcons the lead. The third period saw Ripon attack again but it was scrappy football and Falcons gave away a penalty just before the end from which Ripon equalised and it was a fair result. Luke Burnley was playing his first match for Falcons.

On Sunday Falcons travelled to Bedale on a very windy morning. Bedale kicked off and with the wind behind them had several shots on goal before Thirsk attacked. Bedale kept up the pressure and won a corner which swung in with the wind, defender Sean Taylorson headed the ball off the line but with the strong wind it only went as far as the opposition who headed it back into the net. Bedale scored again with the wind helping the ball into the net.

Again Bedale scored when the ball bobbled into the net beating Thirsk keeper. Bedale scored their fourth before half time with a fine low strike. Second half saw Bedale work Thirsks keeper again and it wasn't long before they were 5-0 up. Thirsk attacked with Joe Barwick but Bedale's keeper made an outstanding save and despite being hit in the face at close range got up and pulled off another great save. Bedales relentless pressure paid off again when they put in a sixth after a mix up between Thirsk's defender and keeper. Bedale scored again when Thirsks defender had to make a tackle and deflected the ball into the far corner of the net. The final score was 7-0 to Bedale. Matty Davison and Steven Burrell had a good game and man of the match was Joe Barwick.

Spennymoor Boys

Spennymoor kept themselves in the top spot of Russell Foster League Division One by defeating Newton Hall 7-1. Trying to play attractive football was, at times, something of a lottery due to the gale force conditions.

Spennymoor, despite having a depleted squad, scored through one each from Todd Franey, Jack McVey, Christopher Jonea and two each from Craig Thompson and Wayne Bolton on his debut. Also, thanks to Kyle Redfern who had to play in goal.

* All players and management wish all the best to Richard O'Brien and Jason White who have gained contracts with Sunderland and Middlesbrough.


Chris's curling corner opened Brompton Under-10 A's account against Teesside Athletic C in a fixture dominated by near gale force gusts, neither side were expected to demonstrate good football that both are capable of.

Brompton played with the gritty determination their supporters have come to expect and ultimately this, combined with their skill, enabled them to overcome both the weather and their capable opposition. Jack Cullen, in at full-back for the absent Daniel Macfarlane, proved a solid and capable partner for David Holmes with the Brompton defence as reliable as ever. This was an inspirational tactic by coach, Neil Maclean, as Jack often plays in midfield, but has shone occasionally in this role at full-back. The first half saw the wind at Brompton's back and this was underlined by a superb goal from Chris Holmes who floated the ball from Brompton's sixth corner at crossbar height to see it dip under the bar for the opening score. Towards the end of the first half Teesside Athletic made a breakaway and saw two attackers against Lee Taylor who stood no chance in stopping the goal slotted home skilfully by Luke Pearson. The midfield of Chris Holmes, Thomas Armstrong and Robert Maclean dominated and maintained the pressure on Teesside Athletic's goal, yet the score remained 1-1 at half-time.

The second half began following an inspirational talk by coach, Neil Maclean, who emphasised the need for keeping the ball on the ground in the blustery conditions. Brompton obviously paid heed to these words of wisdom and made some dynamic attacks against the wind throughout the second half. Joe Richards in goal for this second period gave a fine display against the wind and his strong kicking provided the platform for a number of Brompton attacks. Brompton's first goal of this second period was scored magnificently by Tom Armstrong latching on to a cross from Robert Maclean sprinting wide on the right. A third goal for Brompton came following a dynamic mid-field run by Chris Holmes who was brought down ten metres outside the box. Chris took the ensuing free kick himself powering it into the centre of the box where it was collected by Mark Watkinson who turned and planted it neatly into the centre of the net. Teesside Athletic fought back magnificently in the last quarter of the game with attack after attack repelled by the Brompton defence. Their reward came with a goal from Josh Enderwick three minutes from the end, but to no avail, Brompton ran out winners 3-2.

Norton and Stockton Ancients

The Under-13 A team were against Kader in a wind-affected game. Norton playing against the wind in the first half, took an early lead before Kader equaliser and then took the lead just before half-time. In the second half, with the wind in their favour, Norton dominated the game scoring a further eight goals. Scorers were Callum O'Sullivan (4), Alex Fraser (2), Carl Kennedy, Michael Young and James Yate who scored his first goal for Norton.

With a very strong wind dictating the game, it was always going to be very hard to play good passing football. Brinkburn took an early lead when a good ball caught out the Norton Under-10 A defence and the Brinkburn striker hit the ball first time into the top corner. Norton battled back, with striker Nathan Mohun getting two quick goals to send Norton into the lead. Brinkburn were soon level, when the midfielder hit a high ball from the half way line which dipped just under the bar giving Norton keeper Thomas Johnson no chance to make a save. Nathan Mohun got Norton level again when he took on three Brinkburn defenders and coolly slotted the ball under the advancing keeper to complete his hat-trick. Brinkburn kept attacking, giving Norton defenders Nicky Thomas and Max Craggs a lot to do and were soon ahead again with a well taken goal. With time running out, Norton got a deserved equaliser when Matthew Garbutt sent Matthew Simcox clear up the right wing who lobbed the ball to the far post for Matthew Johnson to slot home the equaliser. Final score was 4-4.

Norton Under-14s totally dominated their match against Acklam Steelworks, adapting to the windy conditions quickly, playing against the strong wind in the first half and defending well. Norton's first goal came from a great passing move involving the whole of the midfield which resulted in Alex Nicholson scoring from close range. Norton pushed forward in the second half passing the ball around with confidence. The Acklam keeper kept his team in the game with some good handling under difficult conditions. Acklam made a good move through the middle of the field which led to a great strike from Jonathon Anderson to level up the game. This was the wake up call Norton needed, the home team once again pushed forward which led to the second goal from Alex Nicholson. Norton totally dominated the remainder of the game with captain Dale Mulligan collecting the ball in the centre circle. He launched the ball towards the Acklam goal where the keeper came towards the ball which bounced over his outstretched arms to land in the back of the net. Norton went on to totally control this game with the next goal coming from a great strike from Jamie Rowntree which hit the post and bounced out to the waiting striker Anton Fisher. Jamie was to get the goal his performance deserved with a lovely passing move involving Graham Wilson and Graham Richardson which sent Jamie Rowntree free to make the score 5-1. Anton Fisher scored his second goal to make the final score Norton 6, Acklam 1.


Marton Under-14s got off to a dream start at home against Nunthorpe, scoring in the opening minute as Johnston headed in at the back post from a Rob Hill corner.

After the early set back Nunthorpe equalised with a well worked goal, a good run and cross from the right was finished well by Downing.

With a strong wind in their favour the visitors pressed forward in search of more goals but it was Marton who once more went ahead, good control from Tyman gave him the opportunity to fire past the keeper.

The home side extended their lead when Henderson finished off a well-worked move between Carroll, Spence and Johnston.

The game swung from end to end with as both sides attacking at every opportunity and it was the visitors who were next to strike, Wearmouth scoring direct from a free kick from the edge of the area.

From the re start the home side went on the attack and scored again when the impressive Carroll was on the end of another flowing move, the keeper was unfortunate to see his clearance rebound off Carroll and fly into the net to give Marton a 4-2 advantage going into the interval.

The second half got under way and the visitors made the more lively start.

Marton struggled to take control of the game and were made to pay for not taking their early chances.

Goals from Wearmouth and Downing brought the game level and when Marton had two goal bound efforts cleared off the line the game looked destined to end all square but Matty Tyman had other ideas! With minutes remaining he latched onto a through ball and showed great composure to lob the ball over the advancing keeper to notch his second and the winner to cap off a fine individual performance and a 5-4 win.