Consett Charity Cup: STATESIDE are into the semi-finals though they had to endure an epic battle before they eventually saw off First Division rivals Blackhall Mill in an eight-goal thriller.

Extra-time was eventually required after the sides had been locked together at 3-3 at the end of normal time.

And that extra period made all of the difference for Stateside who went on to record a 5-3 win with two goals each from Kevin Eglon and Thomas Bushby and another from Chris Connolly.

The Blackhall Mill goals were netted through Roland Lee and another two for leading scorer and veteran striker Derek Waters.

In the third round, Division One outfit Stanley Central accounted for Second Division promotion hopefuls Burton House. The Central moved into the quarter-finals following a double strike from Martin Telford and goals from Richard Little and Ian Costello in their 4-1 which saw Craig Foster reply.

Boddy Printers

Sunday League

Cup games saw Iceland top their group to book a place in the John Parkin Cup Final. They took a point from their game with Parkland and now must go to Boosbeck and win their game or lose out to Gables Manders.

In the other group John Davey Limited also booked a final place and Cleveland Inn must win their final game against John Davey Limited or D and E Locksmith can still pip them with a win against Jack and Jill, all too close to call at the moment.

Gables Manders had a 4-1 win over Boosbeck and can only look on keeping their fingers crossed.

In the League, Cleveland Inn lost 3-2 at home to Jack and Jill, had they won they would have had a five-point lead at the top but now stand level games with Parklands and only two point advantage. Cleveland Inn took the lead when Roy Ngigi tapped in at the near post but Jack and Jill hit two quick goals from Wayne Crockett. Andy Bowman put Cleveland inn back on terms but a late winner from Lee Ducking left Cleveland Inn pointless.

Big W lost 5-3 at home to Redcar Glazing. Redcar drew first blood when Peter Manton scored but Big W soon hit back when Dave Eales ghosted in at the back post. Two goals from Richard Crook put Redcar Glazing into a 3-1 half time lead. Goals from Manton and Gavin Hanratty seemed to have put Redcar Glazing out of sight but a strong fight back from big W saw Aaron Thompson scoring from the spot after he had been fouled then Chris Edwards converted a cross from Bargewell but time ran out for Big W.

Consett Sunday League

SHAFTOES have picked up the league's first silverware of the season after lifting the Abbey Trophy at Consett's Belle Vue Park ground.

Shaftoes had to come from behind to equalise through Chris Hamilton after Burton House had led at the interval with a goal from former Gateshead skipper and central defender Sam Kitchen.

It the went to a penalty shootout and it was Shaftoes who held their nerve to win 3-2 on spot kicks and claim what is the Second Division League Cup.

Only one match took place in the First Division and title hopefuls Leadgate Golden Lion crushed basement side Consett 5-0 with Mark Turner striking a hat-trick and Paul Webster and Danny Craggs the others.

Two Darren Grundy goals failed to save Steel Club from an odd goal in five Second Division defeat at the Cricketers while the Black Horse beat Oxhill Central 5-4 with a two-goal salvo from Micky Hurst and others from Ryan Stokoe, Martin McKinney and Shaun Dodds.

Chris Dawson blasted four goals and Marc Farthing a hat-trick in a 9-2 Third Division rout for Freemasons against Cronniwell.