There's just no stopping Birtley Town at present and they made it nine wins on the bounce defeating Coxhoe Athletic in the quarter finals of the Sunderland Shipowners' Cup.

It was a near thing though and Coxhoe were within a minute of reaching the last four. Ralph Pettijean put them in front on 55 minutes but in the last minute Neil Blue snatched a dramatic equaliser to take the tie into extra time.

Within seven minutes Birtley were ahead thanks to Andrew College and Coxhoe's hopes ended when Tony Thirkell struck.

Leaders Darlington RA avenged their only defeat in the league with a 2-0 victory at Cleator Moor Celtic. Michael Carter slipped the ball past the advancing Craig Devine in the 55th minute and five minutes from the end Warren Byrne volleyed into the top corner of the net.

An only goal from Jonathan Newton after 19 minutes was sufficient for Stokesley SC at Jarrow and Whitehaven secured their place in the semi finals winning 3-1 following extra time at Boldon CA.

Karl McGrady was an early scorer for the Cumbrians and after John Taylor levelled, Boldon went out as Roscoe Fowler and Michael Houlsby netted during additional time.

Ferryhill Athletic are now equal on points with Washington Nissan UK after defeating Wolviston 3-1.

Ryan Stonehouse netted on 32 minutes and early in the second period Andy Steele equalised but Ferryhill were not to be denied and celebrated only their fourth win of the season with further goals from Tony Stafford and John Banks.

Nissan went down 3-1 at home to New Marske for whom Billy Millington (2) and Ian Johnson were the marksmen. Kirk Hardy converted a penalty for the Wearsiders.

Gateshead Reserves remain third from the basement after losing 5-0 at Annfield Plain for whom Kris Soulsby scored his second hat-trick in successive games.

John Maughan and David Coulson added to the woes of the Tynesiders.

Cleadon SC also went nap in their home game with Sport Catterick who were the better side in the first period and deservedly led at the interval.

Mark Johnson gave Cleadon the best possible start but Stephen Hunter and Martin Butterworth soon responded. In the second half though Cleadon dominated and the goals flowed from Peter Brand, Stephen Fyall, Danny Efford and Johnson.

Carl Rochester bagged a brace and Shaun Petch also struck leading Ryhope CW to a 3-1 victory at Shotton Comrades whose only reply came from Michael Pittam.