Regular customers and former staff have spoken in support of a County Durham pub facing the possible loss of its licence following a serious assault.
The King's Head in Cockfield had its premises licence suspended with immediate effect after a man suffered life-changing injuries in what police described as a "sustained, violent and entirely unprovoked" attack.
But ahead of a full licensing hearing on August 24, customers have told Durham County Council that the incident should not overshadow the pub's role in the village.
The King's Head in Cockfield has had its lcience suspended following the incident. (Image: SARAH CALDECOTT)
“Friendly and welcoming” pub
Teresa Spires, a regular customer, described the King's Head as a "clean and safe" pub where staff were welcoming and friendly. She said children were "happy and safe" when visiting and that the venue was "very family orientated".
"It would be a great loss for them to lose the pub," she said, adding that manager Ross Ainsley "looks after the staff and the customers".
Laura Hope also described the pub as "friendly and welcoming", with a "family feel".
She said staff "go above and beyond to make the pub a safe, happy and sociable place to wind down".
"It would be a shame to see a newly opened pub with a wholesome, countryside feel be closed down at the fault of people who do not fit the description of the customers and staff mentioned above," she said.
Other supporters highlighted the pub's wider role in Cockfield, including its contribution to the local economy and community life.
One long-term resident and regular customer said the pub was "far more than simply a place to drink", describing it as an important social hub which helped combat isolation in the rural community.
The customer said the King's Head had been particularly missed during its previous closure, adding that it was the only dog-friendly venue in the local area.
The pub was also praised for supporting local employment, businesses and fundraising events.
Another customer, Gemma Malcom, said the assault should not be viewed as a reflection of the pub's manager, staff or wider community.
"Ross, the manager, runs the pub in a respectful, professional and lawful manner," she said.
"He and his team work extremely hard to provide a welcoming and safe environment for everyone."
She said closing the pub would "unfairly punish the staff, the customers and the wider village".
Former staff member Isabelle Guy said she had worked at the pub on several occasions and had never felt threatened or unsafe.
"The customers I have encountered while working at The Kings Head have always been friendly and respectful," she said.
"In my experience, the pub is very community-based, with many local residents from the village regularly visiting to meet up, socialise and catch up with friends."
Sammie Spires, who said she had worked with Mr Ainsley since January, said the staff felt like "a close-knit community" and a "little family".
A previous licensing sub-committee was told that a man was repeatedly pushed before being struck several times to the head and face with a drinking glass during the incident on 25 July.
He suffered a broken nose, a fractured jaw in two places and a ruptured tendon in his hand, requiring reconstructive surgery. Police said the attack was made more serious because the victim's young son witnessed it.
The council suspended the premises licence and removed the current premises supervisor while the police investigation continues. The suspension will remain in place pending a full hearing.
“Significant concerns”
However, not everyone has backed the pub.
The Durham Safeguarding Children Partnership said the evidence raised "significant concerns" about the ability of the premises to promote licensing objectives and protect children from harm.
It said it had "no confidence at this time" that the premises could be considered responsible and comply with its licensing obligations.
Cockfield Parish Council has also objected to the King's Head reopening under its current management, citing complaints about rubbish, alleged rowdy behaviour and incidents including alleged public urination.
The parish council said it had "no objections to the King's Head as a licensed premises as long as it is managed correctly".
Read more
-
Plans for next step in Bishop Auckland market place redevelopment revealed
-
Anglers urge council to save beloved County Durham fishing pond
-
Rage room with crowbars and sledgehammers bids to stay open after renovation
Manager’s vow
The pub's manager, Ross Ainsley, has separately pledged to introduce tougher measures, including increased staffing during busy periods, improved CCTV monitoring, refresher training and earlier intervention when unacceptable behaviour occurs.
He said the safety of customers, staff and the wider community was his "highest priority".
Share