LOOKING back to the week that was June 24 to 30, 20 years ago...

THE world-famous 199 Whitby steps were saved after a major fundraising campaign reached its target in only three months, 20 years ago this week.

Each of the steps, which featured in Bram Stoker's classic horror story Dracula, were sponsored for £1,000 and could be restored.

Read more: Appeal to prevent homes being built on North East Roman site

What started off as a local campaign quickly captured the imagination of the country and then went worldwide as word spread.

The steps, which link the ancient North Yorkshire harbour with 900-year-old St Mary's parish church and the ruined abbey, are used by thousands of tourists and pilgrims every year.

Generations ago many of the eroded steps were turned over to give them a new lease of life, but a more extensive restoration was needed by 2004.

"We are now in the happy position of not only having all the steps sponsored but there is even a waiting list, " said church warden John Hemson.

For more nostalgia direct to your inbox, subscribe to The Northern Echo here

The names of sponsors were to be engraved on a commemorative plaque.

Step number one was funded by the Co-operative Society, and 199 by St Hilda's Priory, Whitby.

The first move towards the restoration work had started with a survey which cost £22,000.

"Nearly all the work will have to be done by hand, " said Mr Hemson. "It will be a major operation."

In Bram Stoker's book, Dracula transforms himself into a dog and runs ashore from the wrecked boat Demeter and up the steps into St Mary's churchyard.

A sign is displayed at the church entrance saying that Dracula's grave is not to be found in the churchyard.

Read next:

A half-ton statue which was stolen from a stately home in Yorkshire and later recovered 4,000 miles away in Chicago was restored to its rightful plinth, in June 2004.

Sir Tatton Sykes commissioned a world-wide search for the life-size Goddess of Harvest after it disappeared from the grounds of Sledmere House, near Driffield, in December 2000.

After a long search, involving sending photographs to museums and police forces in 182 countries, a Chicago dealer identified it. It had been shipped by sea to the US.