A man has been raced to hospital after suffering serious injuries from "suspected Second World War ammunition."

Police and paramedics - including an air ambulance -  were called to The Wynd, in North Shields, after a report of concern for a man inside an address. 

The North East Ambulance Service sent two ambulance crews, one duty officer, one clinical team leader, two Hazardous Area Response Team crews to the scene - taking one man to the Royal Victoria Infirmary in Newcastle for treatment. 

Northumbria Police has launched a full investigation and has erected a cordon at the scene. It said there is “no wider threat to the public.” 

Pictures from near the scene show how the air ambulance landed at Tynemouth Cricket Club, located several streets away from the property. 

A North East Ambulance Service spokesperson said: "We were called to an incident at a private address in North Shields today (14 June) at 12:26. 

“We dispatched two ambulance crews, one duty officer, one clinical team leader, two HART crews (Hazardous Area Response Team) and were supported by our colleagues at Great North Air Ambulance Service. One patient was taken to RVI hospital."

A force spokesperson added: “Shortly before 12.30pm today (Friday), we were alerted by the ambulance service to a report of concern for a man inside an address on The Wynd in North Shields.

Recommended reading:

Get more from The Northern Echo with a digital subscription. Get access for 3 months for just £3, or get 30% off an annual subscription with our latest offer. Click here.

“Emergency services are currently at the scene where a man has suffered serious injuries believed to be from Second World War ammunition.

“He has been taken to hospital for treatment. While enquiries are at an early stage, no other individuals are understood to be involved.

“A full investigation has been launched to establish the circumstances surrounding the incident, and a small cordon has been put in place. There is no wider threat to the public and anyone with concerns is encouraged to speak to an officer on duty.”