Human remains recently discovered on Wearside beaches have been confirmed as those of a Newcastle man who went missing earlier this year. 

Police received several reports from the public about suspected human remains being washed up on the beaches at Roker and Seaburn between February 13 and April 8.

An investigation was carried out into the discoveries, and sadly, police can now confirm the remains relate to Roy Johnson, 49, who was reported missing on January 20.

Roy was last seen by staff at South Tyneside District Hospital on that day and was later sighted on CCTV in the Temple Park Road area of South Shields shortly before 11pm.

The exact circumstances of how Roy died and ended up in the sea cannot be confirmed.

However, following a range of enquiries, officers can confirm they are not treating his death as suspicious.

Roy’s family and friends have been informed and are being offered support by specially-trained officers.

Detective Chief Inspector Graeme Barr, of Northumbria Police’s Major Investigation Team, said: “This is an incredibly sad update that we hoped we would never have to give.

“Our thoughts are with Roy’s loved ones as they attempt to come to terms with what’s happened, and as ever, I’d ask that his family’s privacy is respected at this time of incomprehensible grief.

Get more from The Northern Echo and stay informed with subscription. Our offer in June is £4 for 4 months. Click here to find out more.

Most read:

“From the moment Roy was reported missing, extensive searches were carried out by various teams of officers in the hope that we would locate him safe and well.

“I would like to thank everyone who supported the search for Roy, including those officers involved, our partners and crucially members of the public who came forward with information.

“I would also like to thank those who reported the discoveries on the beaches of Sunderland – your information has helped provide the answers that Roy’s family rightly deserve.”

A report will now be made for the coroner.