LOOKING back to the week that was April 8 to April 14, fifteen years ago...

A MAN was arrested following a car accident that left a trail of destruction, in April 2009.

A car hit five parked vehicles and sent one careering towards a house in Park Lane, Darlington, where 14-month-old Shane Tweddle was asleep in the living room.

Read more: How Hurworth village green is on top of a plague pit

Five cars were damaged, at least three of which were written off. The house suffered only minor damage, and Shane was unhurt in the incident, which took place at 7.30am on April 8, 2009.

An 18-year-old man was charged with failing to provide police with a sample for an alcohol test.

Shane's grandmother, Caroline Gray, 41, who lived with her husband, daughter and grandchild, said: "I heard an almighty bang. It sounded like a bomb going off. All I could see was the end of the neighbour's car, so I thought it had gone into the front room where Shane was sleeping."

Shane's father was asleep in the same room when the accident happened. The driver suffered only minor injuries, and no one else was hurt.

A teenager was celebrating after he won a regional archery award seven months after he first picked up a bow and arrow.

Matthew Mason, 15, of Gilesgate, Durham City, beat off competition to become the Under 18 Junior Novice Champion in the Durham and Northumberland Archery Association contest.

His father, Bob, said: "It is an outstanding achievement for Matthew. He has only been doing it for seven months and has come on in leaps and bounds.

"He has some learning difficulties at school and has had a rough time over the last couple of years.

Read next:

"I am so happy he has achieved something. He goes to training two to three times a week without fail and is really dedicated to the sport."

Matthew is a member of the St Giles Archers and has been trained by club coaches Matthew Lumsden and Bruce Tinkler.

He said: "I am absolutely delighted. Archery has given me something to focus on."