A woman has spoken of her family’s “devastation” at losing a loved brother following a violent outburst and attack by a drinking partner.

Lisa Bishop was speaking after her brother, Trevor Bishop’s killer, 36-year-old Tony Johnson, was given a life sentence with a minimum of 18 years behind bars at Newcastle Crown Court.

Emergency services found Mr Bishop lying in a pool of his own blood on the living room floor after a report was received of concern for a man at an address on the Meadowell estate in North Shields, on Tuesday March 7 last year.

Forty-five-year-old Mr Bishop, was taken to hospital, but, despite the best efforts of medical staff, he died from his injuries two days later.

The Northern Echo: Tony Johnson, left, given a life sentence atc Newcastle Crown Court for the murder of Trevor Bishop

A review of CCTV from the night of his death showed Johnson fleeing the scene, in Clifton Gardens, after the assault took place.

The subsequent investigation revealed that Johnson had been in the company of Mr Bishop and others.

They had been drinking together at the address in Clifton Gardens when Johnson assaulted Mr Bishop, punching him at least three times in the head.

Following a lengthy trial at the court, Johnson, of Princes Street, North Shields, was found guilty of murder, on January 15 this year.

He was brought back to the same court today (Friday February 16) where he was sentenced to life imprisonment, with a minimum of 18 years, by the Recorder of Newcastle, Judge Paul Sloan.

The Northern Echo:

Following the sentencing hearing, Mr Bishop’s sister, Lisa, re-shared her feelings about her late brother.

She said: “I am devastated to have lost my brother in such a violent way.

“Trevor was my best friend. I miss him every day and will do for the rest of my life.”

Speaking at the conclusion of the case, the senior investigating officer Detective Inspector Tam Fowler, of Northumbria Police, said: “This has been an incredibly difficult time for Trevor’s family and loved ones, and I am pleased that Johnson has been jailed for life.

“I know that no sentence will ever take away the pain Johnson caused that night, or bring Trevor back, but I do hope today can serve as a form of closure and allow all those grieving to begin moving forward with their lives.

“The jury heard a lot of detail around the movements of those in the address the night he tragically lost his life, before he was brutally assaulted and left to die by someone he thought was his friend.

See more court stories from The Northern Echo by clicking here

Man convicted of murder after North Tyneside brutal assault

North Shields murder: Police name man who died as Trevor Bishop

Second murder arrest after North Shields death of Trevor Bishop

Don't miss out on the latest news and stories. Subscribe to the Northern Echo for just £5 for 5 months. For details, click here

“Even when we arrested Johnson in connection with Trevor’s death, our body worn video footage clearly shows his demeanour as he attempts to deny all knowledge of what has happened just hours after he’s captured on CCTV fleeing the scene.”

Det Insp Fowler added: “I am pleased that Johnson has a long prison term ahead of him, which is undoubtedly what he deserves.

“I would once again like to thank Trevor’s family for their strength and support throughout, as well as extending my thanks to the wider team at Northumbria Police, and our criminal justice partners, who have helped ensure Tony Johnson has been brought to justice for his actions.”