A young motorist who sped off in a stolen car when police tried to pull him over has been given the chance to get his life back on track.

Alex Wild refused to stop when officers activated their blue lights and sirens before accelerating away and reaching speeds of 70mph in a 30mph zone.

The 20-year-old’s dangerous driving was brought to an end when he drove over a Stinger as he approached a roundabout but the two occupants of the Ford jumped out while it was still moving.

Teesside Crown Court heard how the car rolled into a van before Wild was arrested nearby following a short foot chase after he took police on high speed chase.

Nigel Soppitt, prosecuting, said police spotted the stolen car when it was being driven along the A172 and tried to pull the car over.

“Initially, he was doing 50mph along the A172, he then turned off the road onto a narrower road, which was subject to a 30mph speed limit, where he reached speeds of 70mph,” he said.

“He drives through residential area and drives on the wrong side of the road as he takes bends – in all it is five minutes of dangerous driving.

“He then went across a Stinger but still drove without coming to a stop in the vehicle. Wild and another person got out of the car while it was still moving and tried to run away. The vehicle then collided with a van on the roundabout.”

The court heard there was no evidence that Wild had anything to do with the theft of the car or that he knew it was stolen.

Wild, of Upsall Gardens, Nunthorpe, Middlesbrough, pleaded guilty to dangerous driving, failing to stop, and driving without insurance, following the events of November 15 last year.

Simon Walker, mitigating, said Wild had bought the car legitimately without realising it was stolen.

He added: “He purchased the vehicle in good faith for £600, he bought it not knowing it was stolen.

“He had no insurance which was why he drove off from the police.”

See more court stories from The Northern Echo by clicking here

Get all the latest crime and court updates, for less than the price of a coffee, with a Premium Plus digital subscription to The Northern Echo. Click here

Recorder Andrew Smith MBE passed a suspended sentence for Wild, who he described as coming from a good background, and urged him to take up an apprenticeship opportunity.

He added: “I have no doubt that your parents are disappointed with you for putting your good character in jeopardy.”

Wild was given a six-month sentence suspended for 12 months, placed on an electronically monitored tag for three months between 9pm and 7am, ordered to attend 20 rehabilitation activity requirement days and carry out 100 hours of unpaid work.

The young driver was also banned from driving for 12 months and told he must pass an extended driving test before taking to the road again.