Specialist divers have been brought in to aid to the search for missing pensioner Gloria Clarke.

Gloria, 80, disappeared early on New Year’s Day and police have been searching for her since.

Police said on Tuesday (January 2) they had seen CCTV footage showing a woman matching her description entering the River Tees in Yarm.

On Thursday divers from Northumbria Police were called in to help scour areas of the river. They have been stood down for the night, but will return on Friday.

The Northern Echo: Search teams in the area earlier this week.Search teams in the area earlier this week. (Image: TERRY BLACKBURN)

Officers also continue to search the riverbank on foot and with drones.

Teams have been working in the area her disappearance on the morning of New Year’s Eve.

The Northern Echo: Gloria Ann Clarke,Gloria Ann Clarke, (Image: CLEVELAND POLICE)

Cleveland Police re-issued a plea for informal search parties to stand down due to hazardous conditions around the river.

A force spokesperson said: “We echo our previous message that the river is particularly deep at the moment and extremely fast flowing due to recent weather. We would ask informal search parties to stand down due to these hazardous conditions around the riverbank.

“Diving teams from Northumbria Police are assisting with the search of specific areas of the river today and tomorrow, whilst officers search the riverbank on foot and with drones.”

The Northern Echo: Officers were pictured launching drones on Wednesday (January 3).Officers were pictured launching drones on Wednesday (January 3). (Image: TERRY BLACKBURN)

Gloria’s family are being supported by specialist teams while the search continues.

Recommended reading:

Get more from The Northern Echo with a digital subscription. With our latest deal you can pay £3 for three months, or get 40% off a 12-month subscription. Click here.

The 80-year-old was last seen leaving Meadowfield Drive in Eaglescliffe at about 5.45am on Sunday (December 31) morning.

Emergency crews first descended on the River Tees in Yarm that afternoon.

A cordon was initially erected along True Lovers Walk at the water’s edge while the police helicopter was spotted over the town. Water rescue specialists and police with torches worked through darkness and into the evening before calling off the search overnight. Enquiries have been continuing since.