Police have launched a murder investigation after a man was found dead outside a home in Bishop Auckland yesterday.

The 41-year-old man, who has not yet been named, was found unresponsive outside the address on West Lane at 6pm on Wednesday (November 29) evening.

Despite the efforts of medics, he was pronounced dead at the scene.

Four people - three men and one woman all in their 40s - have been arrested in connection with the incident and remain in police custody at this time.

The Northern Echo: Officers will remain at the scene throughout the day on Thursday.Officers will remain at the scene throughout the day on Thursday. (Image: SARAH CALDECOTT)

Emergency services descended on the County Durham street with a large cordon erected and tent put up outside the address.

Forensic teams seen working at the scene into the early hours while uniformed officers were stationed around the cordon.

Durham Police said there is no risk to the wider community and officers will remain at the scene today while enquiries continue.

Follow our live coverage of this developing story HERE

A force spokesperson said: “A police presence will remain at several addresses in the town while enquiries are carried out.

The Northern Echo: Forensic officers working at the scene.

“Detectives would like to reassure the public that there is not believed to be any wider risk to the community.”

Residents on the street told this morning of their shock after their neighbourhood was swarmed with officers.

One shocked local told the Echo: “There were so many police cars here last night.

“People are saying that there were men fighting with knives on the green. You hear about it but it’s horrible to happen so close.”

Recommended reading:

Get more from The Northern Echo with a Premium Plus digital subscription from as little as only £1.50 a week. Click here.

Another resident added: “I heard a commotion and angry voices and I thought it might just be some angry young-uns.

“Now we know what happened I worry they might have been involved.”

Officers are appealing for anyone with information to contact them on 101, quoting incident reference number 351 of November 29.