Fire crews attended a blaze at a North Yorkshire property after a family pet was believed to have caused the fire.

North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service (NYFRS) confirmed they were called to a house fire in Catterick Garrison at about 7.15pm.

Crews from Richmond, Colburn, and Leyburn Fire Station attended the incident after neighbours were alerted to smoke alarms sounding in the property.

It is believed the fire was caused after the family dog turned the hob on when kitchen furniture was on top of the cooker.

The home occupier confirmed to officers arriving at the scene that the fire was out but the house was smoke logged.

A NYFRS spokesperson said: “Two firefighters using breathing apparatus were used to check the property for fire spread, and a positive ventilation fan used to clear the property of smoke.

Most read:

Black Friday Sale! Grab our digital subscription for just £6 for six months. Limited time only

“The cause of the fire was the family dog turning the hob on, where there was kitchen furniture on top of the cooker top.

“We are reminding everyone to check they have working smoke alarms in their property, especially as we prepare to go into the festive season with extra combustible materials in our homes.

“If you don’t have working smoke alarms, please click on the link below and follow the instructions.”