A gas leak at a Darlington primary school was fixed this morning, meaning pupils did not have to be sent home.

A Darlington Borough Council (DBC) spokesperson had previously said pupils at Whinfield Primary School would be sent home and the building closed  after a lead was discovered.

However, engineers were able to resolve the issue quickly, meaning that children could remain is their classes.

Most read:

Get more from The Northern Echo with a Premium Plus subscription. Click here.

A spokesperson for the council said: "We have been notified that the engineers have managed to isolate the gas leak and made the site safe. 

"The school will now remain open and pupils will not be sent home.  

"However, the catering team will only be able to provide cold lunches."