A child rapist who destroyed his young victim’s life has been branded a dangerous offender after he was given a 22-year sentence.

Gary Taylor abused a young girl on several occasions when he forced his depraved sexual needs on the child while he was living in the Darlington area.

Teesside Crown Court heard how the abuse had left his victim feeling ‘worthless and dirty’ after the pervert was convicted of five counts of rape and one of sexual assault on a child.

Jon Harley, prosecuting, told the judge that the victim wanted to read out her own victim impact statement.

Read next: Darlington heroin dealer given 'wholly exceptional' chance to turn his life around

“What he did to me has left me deeply scared and traumatised,” she said. “If I spoke out about what he did to me at the time, I didn’t know what else he would have done to me.

“It was so horrible to come to terms with. I blamed myself at the time and wondered if it was all my fault.

“He has taken away my childhood; he has taken away my trust in people. What he did to me left me feeling dirty and worthless.

“I can never forgive or forget what he did to me. I have to deal with the nightmares that I suffer before I go to sleep every night.”

Chris Baker, mitigating, said there was very little mitigation available to his client as he had been found guilty of all the charges following a trial.

He added: “Due to the nature of the offences he has committed he understands he is facing a lengthy sentence.”

Read more:

​Get all the latest crime and court updates, for less than the price of a coffee, with a Premium Plus digital subscription to The Northern Echo. Click here

Judge Anthony Brown sentenced Taylor to 18 years in prison with an extended four years on licence to mark the dangerous nature of his offending.

The Northern Echo: Gary TaylorGary Taylor (Image: Durham Constabulary)

Taylor, of Lilburn Close, Shildon, was made subject of an indefinite restraining order and told he would sign on the sex offenders’ register for the remainder of his life.

The 38-year-old was also made subject of an indefinite sexual harm prevention order.