A man who assaulted Newcastle manager Eddie Howe during his sides two-all draw at Leeds last season has been jailed.

Pitch-invader David Derbyshire, 35, made his way into the technical area and shoved Howe in the 93rd minute of the tie on May 13, 2023.

It came after Leeds player Junior Firpo was sent off after a challenge on Anthony Gordon earned him a second yellow card.

Read more: Empty season ticket seats turned into World Suicide Prevention Day message

Before the subsequent free-kick was taken Derbyshire leapt from the crowd to confront toon boss Eddie Howe before being dragged clear by match stewards.

Newcastle had to settle for a point in the after a late equaliser from Leeds.

In July he pleaded guilty to charges of entering the playing area at a designated football match without lawful excuse and common assault against Howe.

The court heard he had a verbal altercation with the mags’ manager before pushing his left shoulder in the incident which was broadcast live on TV.

Appearing before Leeds Magistrates Court in Friday (September 8) he was jailed for 12 weeks by a district judge.

Derbyshire, of Marley Street, Beeston, Leeds, was also banned by Leeds United from its Elland Road stadium.

Read next:

Get more from The Northern Echo with a Premium Plus digital subscription from as little as only £1.50 a week. Click here.

West Yorkshire Police Chief Superintendent Richard Close, who led the matchday policing operation, said: “Criminal behaviour of this kind is completely unacceptable, particularly where club staff or players are targeted during a large-scale sports event such as this.

"I know that fans of the sport, regardless of their club affiliations, will join us in condemning anyone who acts in this way. 

“We will always treat incidents like this very seriously and we work closely with Leeds United and visiting clubs to fully investigate any offences and take robust action against those responsible, including seeking football banning orders against them.”