A drunken man has been ordered to pay a pizza shop worker £11,000 in compensation after knocking three of his teeth out during unprovoked attack.

Ross Bishop has spent the day drinking at a friend’s memorial service when he turned up at Bianco’s Pizzeria and trying to order food.

Teesside Crown Court heard how staff told the 26-year-old that the shop was closed before he threw a flurry of punches at one of the men behind the counter when he was asked to leave the takeaway in Normanby, Middlesbrough.

Anthony Pettengell, prosecuting, said a female member of staff tried to intervene in the attack but Bishop shoved her out of the way and continued throwing punches at the man.

Read next: Brothers launched vicious attack on man celebrating his 21st in pub

“He appeared to be under the influence of drink,” he said. “He punched the man to the face resulting in three teeth being knocked out. He struck him again both punches were delivered with significant force.”

Mr Pettengell said the female worker tried to intervene and push Bishop out of the shop but he repeatedly pushed her out of the way and continued to throw punches.

The Northern Echo: Bianco's Pizzeria, NormanbyBianco's Pizzeria, Normanby (Image: Google)

In a victim personal statement, the attacked pizza shop worker said the assault had left him fearful at work and still suffered from pain as a result of the facial injuries.

He said the dental repairs would cost him £11,000 and he was not in a position to pay for the work to be carried out.

Bishop, of Woodland Drive, Normanby, pleaded guilty to assault occasioning actual bodily harm and common assault following the attack on February 5 this year.

Nigel Soppitt, mitigating, said his client was genuinely remorseful for his behaviour and knows that he has brought shame on himself and his family.

Read more:

Get all the latest crime and court updates, for less than the price of a coffee, with a Premium Plus digital subscription to The Northern Echo. Click here

He added: “He has shown real remorse and his shame is almost palpable. As a result, he has stopped drinking.”

Judge Jonathan Carroll sentenced Bishop to 12 months in custody but suspended it for two years before ordering him to pay £11,000 in compensation.

He added: “The two victims were members of staff who work in the nighttime economy providing food or drinks to people. They are vulnerable, they are exposed to people who have consumed alcohol, as you had that night and there is little protection for them.”

Bishop was also ordered to carry out 20 rehabilitation activity requirement days.