A teenager will stand trial later this year accused of the attempted murder of a young man in an incident which took place on Good Friday (April 7).

But 19-year-old Taylor Bentham has admitted a number of other offences arising from the incident, on Bent House Lane, Durham.

Police at the time said they were called to a report of what was described as, “a violent altercation”, involving a knife, at about 3pm that day.

A man in his 20s was said to have sustained what were classed as, “life-changing injuries” and was taken to hospital, where he was said to remain in a stable condition days later.

Read more: Taylor Bentham, 18, charged after Durham Good Friday assault

The defendant, who was arrested the following day, was charged with attempted murder, wounding with intent, being in charge of a dog which while dangerously out of control caused injury, plus two counts of having an offensive weapon, both kitchen knives.

Appearing at Durham Crown Court last month, via video link from HMP Doncaster, where he has been on remand, Bentham denied the attempted murder charge, but said he would plea guilty to wounding with intent.

He admitted all the other offences put to him.

Paul Rooney, for the prosecution, said the not guilty plea to the attempted murder charge was not considered “acceptable” by the Crown.

A trial date was to be fixed for early October and the case was adjourned for a further case management hearing.

That hearing took place at Newcastle Crown Court today (Tuesday August 8) when Judge Paul Sloan asked if the defendant intended to maintain his pleas as given at the previous hearing.

Read more: Ex-Darlington FC midfielder Marcus Maddison jailed

Jane Waugh, for the defendant, said he stands by his guilty plea to wounding with intent, but maintains the denial to attempted murder.

“He knows, having given his guilty pleas, he’s not likely to be released any time soon.”

Read next:

Get all the latest crime and court updates, for less than the price of a coffee, with a Premium Plus digital subscription to The Northern Echo. Click here

Mr Rooney said the Crown’s position was, “set in stone”, as to the attempted murder charge.

Miss Waugh said the defence has set in motion the drawing up of a psychologist’s report on the defendant and added that it may also draw on the findings of a pathologist’s report into the complainant’s injuries.

Judge Paul Sloan adjourned the hearing, pending the trial, of up to three days, starting at the court on Tuesday October 3.