Three young men were rushed to hospital last night after having an "unknown substance" thrown in their faces when "disorder" broke out amongst a large group of youths. 

Emergency services confirmed that they were called to Longsands Beach in Tynemouth last night after three youths sustained non-life-threatening injuries in an assault. 

The trio all had an unidentified substance thrown in their faces, and one man sustained injuries to his eye after he was kicked in the head.

The police have said that a dispersal notice is in place and will remain so until Sunday.

For more quality journalism, subscribe to The Northern Echo for £1.50 a week here

A spokesperson for Northumbria Police said: “Extra patrols are being carried out in the North Tyneside area across the weekend as part of the multi-agency Operation Coastwatch, with zero tolerance towards disorder.

“The coastal area remained busy into the evening yesterday (Friday) when at 9.30 pm, disorder involving a large number of youths broke out on Longsands Beach, Tynemouth, which officers quickly attended.

“One male suffered an injury to his eye after being kicked in the head and had an unknown substance thrown in his face, while two other males had an unknown substance thrown in their faces.

“All three males were taken to hospital for treatment to non-life threatening injuries.

“Dedicated resources are investigating and anyone with information should contact police using the ‘Tell Us Something’ page of our website or call 101, quoting NP-20230616-1463.

“This incident does not reflect the tone of the majority of the evening and additional resources, from both police and partners, are in place over the weekend to ensure local residents and visitors to the area can enjoy themselves safely.

“A dispersal notice also remains in place in the area until midday on Sunday.”

Read next: 

A spokesperson for the North East Ambulance Service also confirmed that they had crews in attendance at the incident. 

They said: "We received several calls around 9.30 pm yesterday (June 16) to reports of an alleged assault on Longsands in Tynemouth.

"We dispatched a paramedic ambulance, a clinical team leader and a Hazardous Area Response Team (HART) crew. Three patients were treated and taken to hospital."