An overnight police incident saw a man flee to the roof of a building in an effort to avoid the officers after allegedly injuring another person with a samurai sword. 

Police attended an address in Carlton Miniott, a small village near Thirsk, North Yorkshire after receiving reports that a man had been injured with a samurai sword at 12.50 am. 

But when officers arrived at the house on Carlton Road, the 28-year-old suspect made his way onto the roof of a house on Carlton Road in the early hours of this morning (June 9), with roads closed and the area contained until 6.30 am, when police were able to bring the incident to a safe conclusion.

Read more: Reported 'armed siege' in Carlton Miniott, near Thirsk

Three people have now been arrested by police in regard to the incident - including a 28-year-old man, who was arrested on suspicion of wounding with intent and taken to hospital to undergo checks to his physical health.

A 23-year-old woman and a 24-year-old man, who were both present at the property, were also arrested. 

In addition to police, other emergency services were involved in the incident, including the North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service, who reportedly brought a crane. 

A North Yorkshire police spokesperson said: "The incident at Carlton Miniott was brought to a safe conclusion at around 6.30 am this morning.

"At around 12.50 am Friday 9 June, police received a report of a man who had received an injury to his hand which had been inflicted by a samurai sword at a property on Carlton Road in Carlton Miniott.

Read more: Drone footage of fire at Henderson Old Hall, Newcastle

"Officers attended the address and a man who was at the property made his way onto the roof.

"Emergency services attended and the area was contained. The 28-year-old man was safely brought down from the roof at around 6.30 am. He was arrested on suspicion of wounding with intent and taken to the hospital to undergo checks on his physical health.

"Two others, a 23-year-old woman and a 24-year-old man who were also at the property, were arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender. They currently remain in police custody."