A North East man has documented the horrific moment when a passer-by had to hold up the phone to his ear so he could call his wife following a motorbike accident that left him with life-changing injuries.

Philip Heywood was heading to work for the first time since the pandemic back in May 2022 when he was involved in a collision with a car.

Mr Heywood, who is from Berwick, said: “I remember it was a beautiful day. I am a contractor and was projecting managing a job for the Scottish Government.

Read more: Stockton property boarded up due to anti-social behaviour reports

“I was riding on the English side of the border on a road I am familiar with and made a mistake while overtaking a car. I went flying through the air and landed in a ditch on my back.

“I remember just lying there staring at the sky.”

The Northern Echo: Philip and his wife ColleenPhilip and his wife Colleen (Image: NORTHERN ECHO)

The 54-year-old recalls looking down and noticing that his foot was at a right angle.

He added: “I thought to myself, with a leg in that state, I’m not sure if it will be recoverable. I could also see a lump sticking through my jeans, and the lump was seeping blood which was from my bone.

“I remember it all, nothing is a blur. I was lying there watching the clouds go past and time really seemed to slow down before the pain hit me. I felt quite relaxed which must have been the adrenaline.”

The Northern Echo: Philip and his wife ColleenPhilip and his wife Colleen (Image: NORTHERN ECHO)

Drivers stopped to help Mr Heywood, and he asked them to locate his phone to call his wife, Coleen.

Mr Heywood said: “I still had my helmet on, and they held the phone up to my ear. I rang her and I thought I am going to have to be calm here.

“I said I have been in an accident, but I am fine, and I am just waiting for the ambulance. I didn’t want to burden her by telling her about my injuries.

“My wife has Parkinson’s disease, and already has a bit to deal with, so I didn’t want to exaggerate that.”

The Great North Air Ambulance Service (GNAAS) arrived on scene and told Mr Heywood they would need to straighten his leg.

The Northern Echo: The injury that Philip sustained during the incident The injury that Philip sustained during the incident (Image: NORTHERN ECHO)

Mr Heywood said: “The team kept me calm and administered painkillers.

“The GNAAS team was so confident – they just knew exactly what they were doing.

“The service is just amazing, and I didn’t realise it was a charity. I kept thinking about what would have happened without it. “

GNAAS flew Mr Heywood to the Royal Victoria Infirmary (RVI) in Newcastle where he stayed for three weeks and it was found that he had broken his collar bone, two open fractures to his femurs, and his knee had exploded.

Mr Heywood added: “I had two operations while at the RVI and had a cardiac arrest while under the anesthetic for one of them.

“Today, through physio, I can walk with a limp and manage around 1.5 miles.

"I just want to give my sincere thanks to everyone.”