This is the shocking state of suffering a Gateshead man left his dog in by failing to get treatment for him after he was attacked, then going off on holiday the next day.

Wayne Donnelly of Coldwell Street, Gateshead has been banned from keeping dogs after he admitted to failing to provide veterinary treatment to his eight-year-old Akita named Boost when he sustained injuries in a fight with another of his dogs on June 11.

The 43-year-old took Boost to an out-of-hours vet but left before his dog was examined, then went on holiday the next day leaving him severely injured at home with the dog that attacked him in another person’s care.

Read more: 'Fake' taxi driver facing prosecution after attempting late night pick-ups

Boost tragically had to be but down due to the extent of his injuries.

Describing Boost’s injuries in a witness statement, the veterinary surgeon said: “The skin underneath the fur was severely infected and there were numerous puncture wounds around Boost’s neck, face and around his eyes.

“There was severe bruising to the inside of his upper lips on both sides and marked swelling of his muzzle. His eyelids were so swollen it was not possible to fully assess his eyes.

“There was infection in both ears with pus visible, and large areas of hair and skin were peeled away and sloughed from his face. The failure to provide pain relief and appropriate antibiotic care had led to severe skin necrosis and ongoing severe pain, and ultimately the need to euthanize Boost.”

The RSPCA was contacted by a member of the public and Boost was rushed to the emergency vets by RSPCA inspectors before being put down.

Inspector Rachel Hurst who attended the scene said: “This was a very shocking case to deal with. Boost had suffered severe injuries from a fight with the other dog, and although Mr Donnelly did take his dog to an out of hours vet, he didn’t follow-through with a proper examination or any subsequent treatment.

To get more stories direct to your email basket go here 

“Instead he returned home with Boost and went on to leave him with the dog that had attacked him, in the care of someone else, and proceeded to go on holiday.

“Once we were made aware we got Boost to a vet straight away, and although vets did everything they could for him, he couldn’t be saved as his suffering was too severe. It’s incredibly sad that this dog suffered such a painful and traumatic end to his life.”

Appearing at South Tyneside Magistrakes Court last week (November 17) Donnelly was handed a six-month jail sentence suspended for 12 months, banned from owning dogs for seven years, ordered to complete 200 hours of unpaid work and pay a total of £874.

Read next:

If you want to read more great stories, why not subscribe to your Northern Echo for as little as £1.25 a week. Click here