Firefighters have been praised for preventing a disastrous explosion after a motorcycle caught fire at a petrol station.

At 3.26pm on Tuesday, Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service (TWFRS) received a call reporting a fire at the garage on Heworth Road in the Concord area of Washington.

Fire Control staff at the Service control room quickly deployed an appliance from Washington Community Fire Station and another from Birtley Community Fire Station to the scene.

They arrived within six minutes and found a motorcycle well alight, with flames having spread to the petrol pump next to the vehicle.

The Northern Echo: The crew arrived on the scene within a few minutesThe crew arrived on the scene within a few minutes (Image: TWFRS)

Read more: Dangerous driver who dumped car and tried to flee after police chase now behind bars

The Northern Echo:

Firefighters sprang into action, knowing that the surrounding pumps could go up in flames, and cause a disastrous explosion, in a matter of minutes.

They isolated the petrol supply to surrounding pumps, evacuated the petrol station and immediately began to extinguish the fire.

Within a few minutes, the flames were out and today the officer in charge of the response has praised Fire Control staff and the firefighters involved in the incident.

The Northern Echo:

Station Manager Andy Blower, of TWFRS, said: “This was a fantastic response from all the staff involved, from the Fire Control staff who took the call to the firefighters who responded, to the petrol station staff who isolated the pump.

“A fire at a petrol station is incredibly dangerous. There is an abundance of flammable materials that could lead to disaster so the speed of the response is crucial.

“The fact that we were on scene in less than six minutes is a testament to those involved but that was just one aspect of our response.

“The firefighters deserve a lot of praise for quickly evacuating the premises and isolating the fuel supply to mitigate against the worst-case scenario.

“Simultaneously we were tackling the flames and within minutes it was fully extinguished without anyone suffering from any serious injuries.

“I want to praise everyone involved in this response, and the staff at the petrol station, for keeping communities in Concord safe and we hope it reassures our wider communities that we will be here if you ever need us.”

TWFRS crews left the scene at 3.56pm. The site was left in the hands of the owners.

The Northern Echo: A motorbike caught fire but luckily firefighters from Tyne & Wear Fire and Rescue Service arrived quicklyA motorbike caught fire but luckily firefighters from Tyne & Wear Fire and Rescue Service arrived quickly (Image: TWFRS)

Read next:

If you want to read more great stories, why not subscribe to your Northern Echo for as little as £1.25 a week. Click here.