These killers, perverts, and violent thugs, were among some of the people who faced justice at Teesside Crown Court last month.

Road-rage killers

TWO dangerous drivers who were caught up in a ‘road rage’ incident which led to the death of a cyclist have been jailed.

Paige Robinson and David Ferry were convicted of causing death by dangerous driving following the death of Graham Pattison, who was thrown into the air when he was hit at speed.

The father-of-two suffered catastrophic injuries when he was hit by Robinson on the A689 between Sedgefield and Wynyard in July 2020.

The Northern Echo: Paige Robinson, 24, and David Ferry, 47, were jailed following the death of Graham Pattison, inset.Paige Robinson, 24, and David Ferry, 47, were jailed following the death of Graham Pattison, inset.

Robinson, 24, of Geranium Close, Billingham, was handed a sentence of seven years and nine months while 47-year-old Ferry, of Granville Terrace in Redcar, was jailed for eight years.


Teenage killer

A TEENAGER who has admitted delivering a number of fatal blows to a father-of-five when he pleaded guilty to manslaughter has been sentenced.

The teenager, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was ‘bouncing on his toes’ like a boxer when he delivered a number of combination punches to Thomas Mallaby following a dispute on a garage forecourt.

The 40-year-old died two days after the fatal attack took place at the Esso petrol station in Annfield Plain, near Stanley, at 2.40am on Sunday, September 26.

The 16-year-old had been charged with murder but a jury failed to reach a verdict earlier this year and following consultation with Mr Mallaby’s family it was agreed to accept the guilty plea to the lesser offence, Teesside Crown Court heard.

Sentencing the teenager, Judge Howard Crowson said: "You are now 16 but you were 15 when you killed Thomas Mallaby. His wife and five children, and his other family and friends mourn his loss, and they feel understandable anger at what was an unnecessary death.

"There is no sentence that I can impose that can assuage their grief.”


Pub glassing

A VIOLENT thug who repeatedly smashed a wine glass into a man’s face following a row during a funeral wake in a pub has been told he was lucky not to permanently damage the victim’s vision.

Max Prior reacted violently to a perceived slight while the pair were sitting next to each other in the Travellers Rest in Darlington.

CCTV footage from inside the pub showed the defendant repeatedly smash the wine glass into the victim’s face before other people managed to pull him away from the man and restrain him.

The Northern Echo: Max PriorMax Prior

The 36-year-old continued to strike the victim after the glass smashed on the delivery of the first blow.

The 36-year-old, of St Johns Crescent, Darlington, was found unanimously guilty of wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm following the brutal assault in October last year.

Judge Christopher Smith passed an eight-year extended sentence with six years in custody with an additional two years on licence.

“There’s some very clear footage of the unhappy events that were to unfold that evening,” he said.


'Hardest man'

A VIOLENT thug bragging about being "the hardest man in Stockton" caused multiple fractures to an off-duty police officer’s face when he attacked him in a bar.

Jason Turnbull launched the unprovoked assault while they were drinking in Traders in Stockton in the run up to last Christmas.

CCTV footage shown at Teesside Crown Court revealed how the 40-year-old confronted his victim before taking up a boxing stance and delivering a number of brutal blows to his head.

The Northern Echo: Jason TurnbullJason Turnbull

Jenny Haigh, prosecuting, said there was no evidence that the victim was targeted due to him being a serving police officer but the assaulted had resulted in long-term medical problems.

In a victim impact statement, the officer said he had been forced to take time off work and was still suffering numbness to his face as a result of his injuries.

He said he ‘suffered flashbacks’ and for a time had struggled to leave the house.

Turnbull, of Ickworth Court, Ingleby Barwick, pleaded guilty to causing grievous bodily harm with intent and affray following the attack on December 11 last year.

Judge Paul Watson QC, the Recorder of Middlesbrough, branded Turnbull ‘belligerent and aggressive’ when he attacked the off-duty officer.

Turnbull was jailed for four years and three months.


Child abuser

A SICK pervert who systematically sexually abused three young children sobbed as he was jailed for more than ten years.

Kenneth Harrison had abused all three victims over a protracted period until the first reported the sexual abuse in March this year.

The 38-year-old admitted sexually assaulting each victim numerous times before his reign of abuse was brought to an end.

Teesside Crown Court heard how his perverted assaults had left his victims traumatised and struggling to come to terms with the sexual abuse they suffered.

The Northern Echo: Kenneth HarrisonKenneth Harrison

Judge Christopher Smith sentenced the Darlington pervert to a total of ten years and eight months for his catalogue of offending.

Harrison, of Trinity Road, Darlington, pleaded guilty to five charges of sexual activity with a child and an additional charge of dangerous driving committed when he attempted to flee the police when they arrived to arrest him.

And a victim impact statement from one of the complaints read: “I have tried to write this so many times but the truth is that I just feel sad, relieved that I spoke out, confused and upset.”

The victim added that the assaults had caused such trauma which has left them unable to sleep and suffering from nightmares.

Harrison was also ordered to sign on the sex offenders’ register for the remainder of his life.

The defendant was banned from driving eight years and four months.


Serial offender

A DEPRAVED rapist who spent 24 years in prison for his sickening crimes grabbed a woman at knife point before attempting to drag her onto wasteland to sexually assault her after his release.

Balaclava-wearing Philip Hann pounced on the woman as she walked along a quiet footpath but she bravely fought him off as she clung onto a wire fence to defend herself.

Hann was released from a life sentence in 2018 after carrying out three horrendous attacks on women in the early 90s.

The Northern Echo: Philip HannPhilip Hann

Hann, 55, fled from the scene while discarding his top layer of clothing and balaclava in an attempt to avoid detection, however, another man spotted him acting suspiciously and alerted police who were searching for the suspect.

Dealing with Hann’s previous offences, the court heard how he was sentenced to life for rape and serious sexual assault on three young women.

Hann, of Skinner Street, Stockton, pleaded guilty to a charge of kidnap, committing an offence with the intent to carry out a sexual offence, and possession of a knife.

Judge Christopher Smith sentenced Hann to a life sentence with a minimum term of seven years and two months in custody.

“You engaged in a considerable degree of planning before you committed this offence,” he said. “You had been following a photographing young women in the area in the weeks beforehand.

“You had made yourself a balaclava to avoid detection, you had armed yourself with a knife and having identified a lone victim, you used that knife to threaten her and cause harm."


Prolific offender

A PROLIFIC criminal is back behind bars after attacking a shop worker with a bottle when she was stopped from stealing booze.

Joanne Igo grabbed the woman by the throat before swinging the bottle at her head as she and her co-accused were being escorted from the Sainsbury’s shop.

A judge warned Igo she would wind up dead if she didn’t address her drug and alcohol issues as he jailed her latest round of offences.

The 42-year-old, who has almost 100 convictions for 291 offences, including 148 for theft or similar, was arrested at the scene and police recovered five bottles of alcohol from a bag.

The Northern Echo: Joanne IgoJoanne Igo

The court heard how Igo had convictions for punching and spitting at security staff among her lengthy record of 291 offences.

Igo, of Norton Road, Stockton, pleaded guilty to two charges of robbery from May 2020 and a further two of shoplifting where she was caught stealing in Redcar on March 16 this year.

Judge Jonathan Carroll warned Igo she needed to ‘pull herself round’ to keep out of prison.

“You are in many ways a vulnerable woman, you have suffered significant trauma in your life; you are heavily dependent on drugs and alcohol; you have continuing emotional challenges, and you live in this cycle of offending,” he said.


Sick images

A SICK pervert was caught with hundreds of child sex abuse pictures and videos - after his phone was discovered by a work colleague.

When the workman tried to identify who owned the phone he opened it up to find a video of child being sexually abused and called the police.

The phone was later traced to David Wilson and he was arrested on September 9 last year, Teesside Crown Court heard.

Chris Baker, prosecuting, said a search of his two digital devices revealed hundreds of child sex abuse images, some of which the defendant had shared with other perverts, and sexual communication with two young girls.

The Northern Echo: David WilsonDavid Wilson

Wilson, Essexport Road, Stockton, pleaded guilty to possession of 95 images and 197 videos, totalling almost four hours of footage, in category A; possession of 119 images and 118 videos, totalling one hour and 36 minutes of footage, in category B; and possession of 113 images and 43 videos, totalling 32 minutes of footage, in category C.

The 36-year-old old also admitted three charges if distributing indecent images of children and a further three charges of attempting to incite a child to engage in sexual activity.

Judge Paul Watson QC, the Recorder of Middlesbrough, jailed Wilson for a total of five years and eight months and ordered that his two mobile phones be destroyed.