A BABY who needed to be airlifted after he stopped breathing has been reunited with the paramedic who treated him four years later.

Isaac Hoey of Sunderland was only six weeks old when he suddenly stopped breathing while on a weekend break in the Mungrisdale area of the Lake District in 2018.

Recalling the incident, his mother Helen Hoey said: “We had been for a weekend away in the Lakes and Isaac had developed a cold over the course of a few days which had gradually got worse.

The Northern Echo: Isaac Hoey in hospital Picture: GNAASIsaac Hoey in hospital Picture: GNAAS

“On the Monday morning we had packed the car and were ready to go home when Isaac started crying in his car seat.

“It’s normal for a baby to cry, but then he was having a coughing fit whilst he was crying and his face went blue, so I shouted for my husband Steven and between us we rang an ambulance.”

Luckily Mrs Hoey had taken a first aid course a few weeks before Isaac was born and remembered how to do CPR on a newborn baby, so she guided her husband on how to do it while on the phone to the 999 call handler.

The Northern Echo: GNAAS paramedic Andy Mawson, Isaac, Steven, Elijah and Helen HoeyGNAAS paramedic Andy Mawson, Isaac, Steven, Elijah and Helen Hoey

They managed to get Isaac breathing again just before paramedics from the North West Ambulance Service and a paramedic and doctor team from the Great North Air Ambulance Service (GNAAS) arrived.

Isaac was administered oxygen by GNAAS’ critical care team before being airlifted to the paediatric intensive care unit at the Royal Victoria Infirmary in Newcastle, where it was revealed that Isaac was suffering from bronchiolitis.

Isaac has since had a couple more bouts of bronchiolitis, and has a constant cough, but apart from that he’s recovered well and has since raised £730 for GNAAS with his two-year-old brother Elijah by walking, running and scooting 32 miles in a month.

The Northern Echo: Isaac Hoey with his GNAAS bearIsaac Hoey with his GNAAS bear

Recently the family visited the charity’s base near Eaglescliffe and Isaac was reunited with paramedic Andy Mawson, who is also the director of operations at GNAAS.

Mr Mawson said: “I still remember how tiny Isaac was when I first saw him, so it was a pleasure to meet him again four years later and see how much he has grown, as well as meet his little brother Elijah.

“I was delighted to hear how much the boys had raised for our charity and they should be very proud of their achievement.”

The Northern Echo: Isaac Howey, fourIsaac Howey, four

Mrs Hoey added: “Not many people realise GNAAS is not part of the NHS, it’s completely based on charitable donations.

“It would be horrendous to think that another family would be in our situation, and that the air ambulance wasn’t there to help. It’s such an essential service and obviously needs to be funded in order to make sure that it keeps running.”

Last year GNAAS had their busiest year on record, responding to 1,620 call-outs across the region. Help fund their future by visiting https://gna.as/ourfuture.

The Northern Echo: Isaac Hoey sat in the helicopterIsaac Hoey sat in the helicopter


The Northern Echo: Elijah and Isaac Hoey on the tractorElijah and Isaac Hoey on the tractor

Keep up to date with all the latest news on our website, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

You can also follow our dedicated County Durham Facebook page for all the latest in the area by clicking here.

For all the top news updates from right across the region straight to your inbox, sign up to our newsletter here.

Have you got a story for us? Contact our newsdesk on newsdesk@nne.co.uk or contact 01325 505054