A WARNING has been issued after a bin wagon caught fire when a battery exploded.

The fire broke out in the bin lorry while it was on a road in Firthmoor, in Darlington.

Quick thinking workers had to tip the burning load into the road to prevent further damage. 

No-one was hurt in the incident and the wagon was not badly damaged.

But people are being warned not to bin batteries due to the fire risk - and are being reminded how to dispose of them safely. 

Read more: Demolition of former Sports Direct warehouse in Darlington to start

Andy Keir, Darlington Council’s cabinet member for local services, said: “I want to thank our street scene staff who acted quickly and followed emergency procedures.

The Northern Echo:

"Thankfully no one was hurt and the vehicle wasn’t badly damaged but this shows how dangerous it can be to put batteries in the bin.

“When batteries are thrown into the wagon they are compacted down and this can cause them to explode either in the wagon or at the recycling plant.

Read more: 9 Darlington drivers appear before the courts with driving offences

“All used batteries, whatever the size, should be taken to the tip or some shops and supermarkets collect them for safe disposal. They should never be put in household waste or domestic recycling bins.”

Stickers are being put on all household bins to remind residents that batteries should not be thrown away.

Keep up to date with all the latest news on our website, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

You can also follow our dedicated Darlington Facebook page for all the latest in the area by clicking here.

For all the top news updates from right across the region straight to your inbox, sign up to our newsletter here.

Have you got a story for us? Contact our newsdesk on newsdesk@nne.co.uk or contact 01325 505054