PAUL Howell is among the Tory MPs in the region currently predicted to lose their seat to the Labour party at the next General Election.

The latest constituency results show Labour has an 80 per cent chance of winning Sedgefield, while Mr Howell has a 20 per cent chance.

A study has shown Mr Howell is expected to win 33.6 per cent of the vote, while Labour is expected to win 46.7 per cent of the vote.

The remainder of the vote, based on a turnout of 64.6 per cent, from an electorate of 64,325, is split between the Reform Party, Green Party and Liberal Democrats.

The results are published by Electoral Calculus who were the most accurate pre-poll predictors of the 2019 general election.

Mr Howell had 47.2 per cent of the vote when he was elected in 2019.

His predecessor, Phil Wilson, had 36.3 per cent of the vote.

The Northern Echo:

The MP has been contacted by The Northern Echo for comment but no reply was received.

The projections also show Boris Johnson could lose his own seat of Uxbridge and South Ruislip in favour of the Labour party.

The next General Election is expected to take place in May 2024.


Keep up to date with all the latest news on our website, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

You can also follow our dedicated County Durham Facebook page for all the latest in the area by clicking here.

For all the top news updates from right across the region straight to your inbox, sign up to our newsletter here.

Have you got a story for us? Contact our newsdesk on or contact 01325 505054