A WEEK has now passed since those eligible have been able to request a refund or extension on their TV licence due to the disruption at Bilsdale transmitter – here’s who can get a refund and how.

BBC bowed to pressure from The Northern Echo to issue partial refunds to those who have been affected by the disruption at Bilsdale mast.

Read more: Bilsdale transmitter: Site operators provide UPDATE on construction of new mast

A spokesperson for the BBC said: “Customers in the affected area who have been unable to receive TV coverage for over a month, and who are unable to view BBC programming through BBC iPlayer and on cable and satellite platforms, will be eligible for a refund or be offered a free extension to their TV Licence to cover the months affected.”

Read more: North East made Covid vaccine is facing delays - and may not be ready until 'NEXT YEAR'

This meant that thousands of viewers were able to receive a refund as of last Friday September 10.

Who can get a refund?

Only those who have not had access to a TV signal for a month and no access to on demand services such as BBC iPlayer are able to request a refund or extension.

  • Those who have been without TV for a month but have had access to BBC iPlayer are not able to request a refund.
  • Those who have seen their TV signal return within the month from August 10 are also not able to request a refund.
  • Those who use Sky in their homes are also not eligible for a refund.

BBC say they are using people’s post codes to assess who is in line for a refund and if your post code lies within an area that has been restored through temporary transmitter, you are no longer in line for an extension.

Read more: WEATHER WARNING: “Heavy showers” set to batter North East over weekend

How exactly can I request a refund?

If you are someone who has been without TV for a month and has not had access to services such as BBC iPlayer, here is how you can claim a refund or extension.

  • Navigate to the TV Licencing website here
  • Select “cancellations and refunds”
  • On the yellow banner at the top of the screen under “TV licence refund and cancellation” where it says “customers who have been affected by the Bilsdale transmitter fire can check our dedicated page for the latest information”
  • Select where it says “latest information”
  • From here, read the information, then tick the box that says “I can confirm the above statement is true.”
  • Then select “apply for a partial refund or an extension.”
  • You will be then redirected to a general enquiries form
  • Begin by entering your title, initials and last name
  • Then enter your email address
  • You can provide them with a contact number but this is not required
  • From the “select a category” section, from the drop down box select “cancellations and refunds”
  • Then from the “select a topic” drop down box, select “refund query”
  • In the field named “enter or amend your question” enter the information required under each question
  • Below, under “please select an option”, tick whichever box is relevant to you
  • Under “please enter your TV Licence number…” tick whichever box applies to you and enter the information that is required.
  • From here select “Email your question”

Read more: Earn 40k-a-year at Aldi as they push HUGE recruitment drive

Those who wish to can also request a refund or extension via calling 0300 790 6130.


Keep up to date with all the latest news on our website, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

You can also follow our dedicated North Yorkshire Facebook page for all the latest in the area by clicking here.

For all the top news updates from right across the region straight to your inbox, sign up to our newsletter here.

Have you got a story for us? Contact our newsdesk on newsdesk@nne.co.uk or contact 01325 505054