A MAN who violently shook a baby for 90 seconds after he was disturbed from playing his video game has left the child with lifelong medical problems.

Andrew Woodhall smashed the baby’s head against a stair post when he grabbed it after he was unable to stop it crying.

Almost four years after the incident, Woodall has finally faced justice for the devastating impact his actions had on the child and its family.

Teesside Crown Court heard a heart-breaking victim personal statement from the child’s mother, who cannot be named for legal reasons, as she laid bare the horrendous difficulties her child has faced since.

In her statement, read out in court by Jolyon Perks, prosecuting, she said: “The day he finally admitted what he had done, my world came crashing down. I felt so much anger and hate, which was replaced by a feeling of sadness.

“Sadness about all the things I had missed out on with (her child) because of him, then thinking about all the things that I will miss out in the future and never experience with (with child).

“(The child) may never walk or talk or play like other kids. I constantly worry about the life (the child) will have.”

The child’s mother added: “I will never hear (the child) say they love me and never hear (the child) call me mummy, I will never see (the child) take its first step and never get a cuddle.”

The youngster has been left dependent on medication to tackle its epilepsy and is fully reliant on 24-hour medical care.

Mr Perks told the court that Woodhall had initially claimed that it was an accident but medical examinations carried out at the University Hospital of North Tees identified a number of 'catastrophic' injuries had been inflicted on the baby.

“He stopped shaking the child when he heard a thud which he believed was its head hitting the newel post at the top of the stairs. He told the police he had shaken the baby for some 90 seconds and not the 30 seconds he had previously maintained,” said Mr Perks.

“He said he felt embarrassed, upset and disgusted with himself and added that he had no contact with the family since.”

The 24-year-old, of Victoria Street, Hartlepool, pleaded guilty to causing grievous bodily harm.

In mitigation, Andrew Turton, said his client had shown genuine remorse for his actions and had been living with the guilt ever since the ‘moment of madness’.

Judge Paul Watson QC, the Recorder of Middlesbrough, jailed Woodhall for 27 months.

He said: “This case serves as a tragic reminder of the fragility and vulnerability of small children."