TWO teenagers required medical treatment after eating a drug-infused sweet.

Police have now issued a warning to people about the sweets, which are called "Nerds Rope", and may contain cannabis.

Paramedics attended an incident in Stockton yesterday, where it was believed that two teenage boys had eaten a sweet which may have been infused with a form of cannabis or other drug.

Inquiries are ongoing into how the boys came to be in possession of it.

The Nerds sweets are available to buy legitimately and police are treating it as an isolated incident at this time.

However, officers and public health colleagues are warning of the dangers of such sweets, and are urging parents to be aware of the symptoms which could be caused by them being ingested.

Should anyone have eaten the sweets, they are advised to seek medical assistance straight away.

They include a loss of coordination, hallucinations, nausea, vomiting, lethargy, collapse or loss of consciousness and cardiovascular effects such as a fast or irregular heart rate.

Chief Inspector Scott Cowie, from the community safety team, said: “We want to make parents and guardians aware that these sweets, possibly containing cannabis, have been found in Cleveland and ensure that people know the symptoms associated with them.

“We don’t know what is in these sweets or how strong they are but they could potentially be dangerous if taken. They come in sealed packets and look very much like real sweets. Anyone who may have information about them should contact Cleveland Police on 101.”

Tom Le Ruez, Tees preventing drug related deaths co-ordinator, said: “Edibles such as sweets infused with drugs can take longer for effects to appear than smoking drugs.

"People should be aware of the delayed onset of taking drugs orally and potential for unpredictable effects, especially when the contents and dosage are unknown.

“There are a current rise in fake medicines and other drugs within professional looking packaging which have different contents to what is listed, resulting in serious harm. If anyone feels unwell after consuming drugs, phone 999 and speak to the emergency services for help.”