FIREFIGHTERS came to the rescue of a jackdaw chick who "got into a bit of a flap" after a chimney sweep put a bird guard on a flue not realising it was there.

A spokesperson for the County Durham and Darlington Fire and Rescue Service said: "We were got a call at about noon today to attend Devonshire Road, in Belmont, Durham.

"The occupier had the chimney cleaned and the chimney sweep put a bird guard over the top of the chimney, not realising the bird was there.

"The bird became stuck inside the chimney.

"We dispatched an aerial ladder platform from Durham. Firefighters removed the bird guard and the bird was left there."