PROSECUTORS concluded there was evidence a teenager arrested on suspicion of murder following the death of a popular bus driver was defending himself at the time.

The 14-year-old will now face no further action following lengthy investigation by officers in the death of David Cameron in Consett.

The 47-year-old father suffered a serious head injury during an altercation in Southernwood in December.

The teenager was arrested and released on conditional bail, but yesterday police said the matter was now closed.

A spokesman for the Crown Prosecution Service said: “Evidence provided to the Crown Prosecution Service as a result of the police investigation into the death of Mr Cameron showed that he had demonstrated the first use of force by pushing the 14-year-old suspect in this case during an altercation between the pair.

“It was clear from the evidence provided, including the pathologist’s report, that the actions of the suspect in defending himself amounted to a use of force that would be allowed by law.

“In order to bring a criminal prosecution in any case, CPS Prosecutors must first establish whether there is sufficient evidence to provide a realistic prospect of conviction for a criminal offence.

“Given the evidence in this case, the Crown Prosecution Service took the decision that the suspect should not be charged.

“We extend our sincere sympathies to the family of David Cameron, at what must be a very difficult time for them.”

Mr Cameron was popular in the town and was described as a ‘true gentleman’ with a ‘heart of gold’ by those who knew him.

Detectives from Durham Constabulary carried out a thorough investigation into Mr Cameron’s death, which included reviewing all of the relevant CCTV footage, completing detailed forensic and pathology work, carrying out house-to-house enquiries and obtaining accounts from all those who witnessed the incident.

Detective Superintendent Dave Ashton, who led the investigation, said: “This was a tragic incident for all involved and my thoughts remain with Mr Cameron’s family.

“The investigation has been thorough in gathering all of the available evidence.

“A file was submitted to the Crown Prosecution Service, who concluded that there was no realistic prospect of conviction based upon the evidential test which is required before someone is charged with a criminal offence.

“As a result, the teenager has been released with no further action.”