A MAN who flew into a rage and threatened to kill people whilst brandishing a knife has been jailed.

Patrick Kearney got into the violent row with his partner and two of her friends after they had a falling out.

The 38-year-old punched one man in the face after threatening to stab him with the kitchen knife before attacking his partner while she was holding a young child.

Rachel Masters, prosecuting, said: "The defendant returned to the address, this time he was violent and pushed his way in through the door and caused damage to it.

"He was asking where his partner was and he was told she was not at the address but she had texted her and asked her to come back, she also texted her partner to come back.

"An hour later his partner returned and they heard banging at the back door, the woman left leaving the complainant and her partner in the property and the defendant came into the front room where he appeared agitated and angry and was carrying a knife.

"The man tried to calm him down but the defendant retaliated by threatening to stab him and kill him. The defendant then told the man to get out of the property but before he did so, he approached the man and punched him in the face.

"The couple left the address and went to a friend['s house across the road and the defendant made further threats at this time, including a threat to smash up woman's car.

"Meanwhile, the defendant's partner went back into the street and she was then confronted by the defendant and witnesses noted that he punched her, wrestled with her while she was holding a young child.

"He then took her mobile telephone from her and ran away."

Miss Master said the male victim suffered a cut to his face, a displaced nose and a blackened eye.

The court heard that the defendant was heavily convicted with offences, including three charges of wounding and possession of an offensive weapon.

Kearney, of Thorntree Gardens, Middleton St George, pleaded guilty to threatening to kill, causing actual bodily harm, common assault and threatening to cause criminal damage.

In mitigation, Robert Mochrie said his client had pleaded guilty at the earliest possible opportunity.

He added that it was to his credit that the defendant had been working and his partner gave a reference saying he was looking forward to settling down together.

Judge Howard Crowson jailed Kearney for two years and issued him with a five year restraining order to stay away from the other couple.

He added: "You were looking for your partner and it led to an unhappy incident in which threats were made and caused a great deal of distress to everybody who might have witnessed it.

"Quite what lay behind your temper that day, I don't need to know."