A WOMAN who was left with a broken nose whilst trying to break up a fight will receive £4,000 in compensation.

Teesside Crown Court heard that 24-year-old Luke Robson did not mean to punch the woman, but she was collateral damage in a fight he was having with her brother in a Darlington street.

The court was told that Robson was out drinking in Darlington on July 27, 2018, when he and two friends became involved in an altercation with the victim's brother near the Shuttle and Loom pub.

That incident, at around 10.45pm, appeared to have been settled and the woman and her brother left the pub at 11.30pm.

They went to their mother's house and it was there that a second fight broke out in the street outside her home.

Prosecuting, Emma Atkinson said that the victim stood in between Robson and her brother in an effort to stop the fight but she was knocked unconscious when Robson punched her in the face.

She was taken to Darlington Memorial Hospital and later transferred to North Durham Hospital where she spent two days recovering from plastic surgery to her fractured nose.

The court heard that Robson, of Willow Place, Darlington, had committed an act of violent disorder in March 2018 for which he received a suspended prison sentence in December.

Judge James Brown said it was unfortunate that the August incident was not taken into account at the December sentencing.

Mitigating, Stephen Constantine said that before those two incidents within months of each other, Robson was of good character with no previous convictions.

He said he was dealing with some family issues at the time and recognised that his behaviour could be be a problem when in drink and he wanted help.

Mr Constantine said Robson is a production operative at Cummins and his shift pattern would make a curfew punishment difficult to work around.

Judge Brown said Robson inflicted a 'most unpleasant' injury on his victim and the cut on her nose would leave a lasting scar.

He added: "I accept that it may not have been intended, but the result is the same.

"She is apprehensive about being in her own home and scared and terrified about the way you behaved and you can understand why.

"You should be ashamed of yourself."

Robson had earlier pleaded guilty to grievous bodily harm without intent and Judge Brown ordered he pay £4,000 compensation to his victim.

Telling Robson he was lucky to avoid an immediate jail term, he imposed an 18-month prison sentence suspended for two years, with a 20-day rehabilitation requirement and 100 hours unpaid work.