TWO fire crews attended a fire to a residential flat last night.

The fire started in the bedroom of a ground floor flat in Thirsk at 10.20pm.

North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue confirmed that the occupier of the flat was out of the property when firefighters arrived and was taken to hospital suffering smoke inhalation.

The brigade said the fire caused 100 per cent fire damage to the bedroom and 40 per cent smoke damage to the remainder of the flat. Fire crews used four breathing apparatus, two hose reels and two thermal imaging cameras at the scene.