A WOMAN whose dog clamped its jaws around a shih tzu’s scrotum after being attacked in its owners arms is set to be sentenced.

Louise Traynor pleaded guilty to a count of being in charge of her a dog dangerously out of control causing injury when she appeared at Newton Aycliffe Magistrate’s Court yesterday.

The court heard how the 33-year-old’s ginger Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Brocko, attacked the shih tzu, Maxi, who was on a walk with his owner on November 23 last year.

Joanne Hesse, prosecuting, told magistrates how one of Traynor’s neighbour’s was walking his shih tzu dog down their street at about 8pm when he noticed the terrier running towards him.

She said: “He described the defendant’s dog as growling and showing teeth as he ran towards him. He picked up his dog and pulled him close to him when the defendant’s dog jumped up and grabbed his hand and also his coat.

“The dog has then got hold of his own dog, which let out a loud yelp, before he heard someone shout and the neighbour’s dog let go.

“It jumped to the ground but prior to this, the dog was hanging as it had locked on to his dog.”

The neighbour managed to get to his own door and away from the terrier but his own dog suffered injuries to its stomach, scrotum and right rear leg.

He also suffered a cut to his hand and his coat was torn.

Maxi was rushed to the vets for emergency treatment and an operation costing £851.

In a victim impact statement, the neighbour said the incident had left him scared to leave his house and he also had concerns for his grandchildren, who would often walk Maxi with him.

“I will not feel safe until I know the dog is destroyed. I believe it would kill a dog or a child.”

Ms Hesse said Traynor was initially interviewed and accepted it was her dog but said she had given it away and did not have details for the new owner.

On a second interview in February, she said the dog had escaped after her daughter opened her door while she was out.

She also admitted she had given the dog to a friend and admitted trying to hide it from the police but was not against having it destroyed.

Paul Donoghue, defending, said the single mother, of Castledene Road, Delves Lane, Consett, had never had any problems with the dog but had pleaded guilty at the first opportunity. He said his client was on benefits.

Magistrate Aileen Little, said the bench had decided to adjourn the case so a probation report could be prepared and the new owner could be contacted as they had to decide on whether to destroy the dog.

Traynor will next appear at Newton Aycliffe Magistrate's Court on May 1, at 10am.