INVESTIGATIONS are underway after a woman broke her leg at an international cricket match when part of the stand collapsed.

The Northern Echo understands she fell around 12ft when a section of flooring gave way at Emirates Riverside ground in Chester-le-Street.

It has been reported that a man she was with was also injured when he became trapped, but did not fall through the former Olympic seating.

Another person needed medical attention after becoming injured during the incident, which happened at around 9pm on Saturday as England played the West Indies in a T20 match.

The woman was taken by ambulance to the RVI in Newcastle where she was treated for ‘non-life-threatening injuries’.

A spokesman for Durham County Cricket Club said: “Following the fixture at Emirates Riverside three spectators were injured as a result of an incident in the in the North-East Terrace.

“At this early stage, it appears that part of the flooring failed.

“Durham County Cricket Club is currently undertaking its own full and thorough investigation into this incident and will co-operate fully with any investigation by any third party.

“No further comment will be made by the club until those investigations are complete.”

Police and stewards evacuated around 200 fans from the stand, which was put up in 2013 before the Ashes Test in August that year.

Previously, it had been used to seat spectators at the beach volleyball competition on Horse Guards Parade during the 2012 Olympic Games.

Durham County Council carried out an inspection at the ground last week.

The authority’s planning development manager Stephen Reed said: “A pre-event operational check, which looked at security, stewarding and the availability of emergency services, was carried out at the Emirates Stadium in the run up to this fixture.

“We can confirm that we will be investigating, along with other relevant agencies, to understand the cause of the incident and any ramifications for future events.”

Last year, the English and Wales Cricket Board imposed sanctions as part of a multi-million pound bailout of the debt-ridden club.

Today, the ECB said the Durham County Cricket Club could now face further action.

A spokesman said: “ECB is investigating the incident, working with all parties to establish the full facts, and will receive a detailed report from Durham CCC and its safety officer.

“Once we’ve received this report, we will consider the next steps and appropriate actions.”