A TEENAGER who almost died after he was caught in a house fire has ventured out of hospital grounds for the first time since the accident almost six months ago.

Troy Mackinlay, now 19, suffered 85 per cent burns after flames engulfed the bedroom he was asleep in in October last year.

The Northern Echo:

Police at the scene of the fire on Albert Street, in Shildon. Picture: TOM BANKS

Troy’s family were told to prepare for the worst as he wasn’t expected to survive the night but the Shildon teen has defied all odds and made a miraculous recovery.

After months in intensive care in Newcastle’s Royal Victoria Infirmary, Troy has been moved to the burns unit where he is continuing with his recovery journey.

Troy’s sister, Abra Wood, who has raised more than £10,000 for her younger brother, said: “Troy is obviously having a hard time coming to terms with what’s happened, up until this weekend I had never seen him out of bed.

The Northern Echo:

BLAZE: A witness captured this image of the blaze in Albert Street, Shildon

“We make sure somebody visits him every day and when we got there on Saturday he said he wanted to go out.

“I couldn’t believe it, we went for a walk around Newcastle city centre and had a coffee and then went for a meal.

“It was so good to be out and about with him, we were out for a good four hours and Troy loved it.

“Nothing phased him at all, it was a really busy day and there were people everywhere but he wasn’t bothered, he just enjoyed being out.”

The Northern Echo: FIGHTER: Troy Mackinlay, 18, who is fighting for his life after a house fire broke out in the room he was sleeping in

Troy Mackinlay who suffered 85 per cent burns during a fire at his Shildon home

Troy was initially only given a five per cent chance of survival after the fire broke out at his grandmother’s house in Albert Street, Shildon, just after 7am on Friday, October 14.

Emergency services arrived to find Troy and his cousin, Tommie Vayro, making their way out of the house moments before the upstairs windows shattered.

The pair were upstairs when the fire broke out in the back bedroom of the mid-terraced property.

They were staying at their grandmother’s house after helping her move in a few days earlier.

Mrs Wood added: “Troy still has a long way to go but he is doing absolutely amazing, he’s making a miracle recovery and we are so proud of him.

“A few weeks ago I didn’t think I would ever see the day that we would be taking him out. It’s all quite overwhelming to be honest.

“He still has a long way to go and he needs to keep up with his physio, but he’s heading in the right direction now.

“We’ve planned a fun day for him this weekend and we are looking forward to that.

“We’ve got Chase coming from Paw Patrol for the kids and have games planned too. It’s all to raise money for Troy, he’s going to need specially adapted equipment when he comes out so we are trying to prepare as much as possible for that.”

The fundraising event will take place this Saturday, April 8, from 10am till 3pm at Old Shildon Working Mens Club. There will be a raffle, bottle tombola, craft stalls, cake and ice cream and all are welcome.