THE mother of a teen who killed himself after receiving stab threats from school bullies said last night that she was "furious" that police had not done more to hold them responsible.

Dannii Hollis, 33, found her son Harry Gray, 15, hanging outside his bedroom in April this year – just a month after a fellow pupil started making threats to have him stabbed.

Despite efforts by Ms Hollis and her neighbours to revive him, Harry was airlifted to James Cook University Hospital, where he died a few hours later.

Harry, from Billingham, Teesside, and a pupil at the town's Northfield School, had no history of mental health issues and gave no indication to family that he was harbouring suicidal thoughts.

However some weeks before his death he told his mother he was upset because a pupil at his school had threatened to have him stabbed following a disagreement. He was also struggling in his art and English lessons, which was upsetting him.

Harry – described as a "caring and gentle soul" – reported the stab threats to the school, but the pupil later told him that had only made it worse, and the threats continued.

Ms Hollis said Harry had skipped school one afternoon before the Easter holidays, partly because his last lessons of the day were art and English and partly because he was concerned about the threats.

She said: "He was with my nephew and told me he came out of school because the boy was threatening to get him stabbed. We reassured him that it was not going to happen and to call me from school if it happened again."

An inquest at Teesside Coroners Court heard evidence from Detective Inspector Kath Vickers, of Cleveland Police, saying that after Harry's death two people were arrested, but there was not enough evidence to charge them.

Coroner Claire Bailey, summarising DI Vickers' evidence, said: "Rumours were going around Stockton about Harry's death that were inaccurate.

"At that point they were satisfied there was no third party involved in Harry's passing.

"There were claims that Harry had been bullied to such an extent that he took his own life. However, this was a rumour and there was no evidence that he was being bullied any more than would be constituted normal child interaction."

Ms Hollis, a nurse, told the inquest: "I am absolutely furious about that. On his iPad Harry screen shot the threats from the child. If that isn't Harry being picked on I don't know what its.

"The police had all these things. They said Harry was getting threatened but it was all hearsay.

"She said there was not enough evidence to charge him even though numerous children had said that, one of them being my nephew."

Ms Hollis discovered her son's lifeless body when she returned home to cook dinner, after visiting her mother to print out travel documents.

She ran out screaming into the street for her neighbours to help, and they made frantic efforts to save her son, but he passed away in the early hours of the next morning in hospital.

He had spent his Easter holidays with family and friends, going out for meals, going climbing at Billingham Forum with his stepsisters, and planning a holiday with his mother. The day he died he spent time with family and playing on his Xbox, but complained of feeling ill with a cold.

Coroner Claire Bailey recorded a verdict of suicide, saying: "There were things that were weighing heavily on his mind, including physical threats that had been made against him, and the difficulty he had had with a number of lessons at school."

After the inquest, DI Vickers said: “Following Harry’s sudden and tragic death, police carried out inquiries and investigated thoroughly the circumstances surrounding it while working closely with and supporting his family.

"Unfortunately, however, insufficient evidence could not be sourced to pass to the Crown Prosecution Service.

"We understand Harry’s family’s disappointment at this time and we would again like to express our deep sympathy to all his family and friends."

Northfield School declined to comment.