DURHAM and England paceman Mark Wood completed a five-wicket haul yesterday then observed of the pink ball: “The jury is still out.”

The Ashington bowler proved his fitness for the Test series against South Africa by taking five for 54 before rain ended the second day's play in the day-night match against Worcestershire at Emirates Riverside.

He took the visitors' final two wickets with the second new ball, but not before they had established a lead of 170 by making 367.

Loading article content

Prior to England one-day duty, Wood took three for 206 in two matches for Durham at the start of the season as he felt his way back from ankle surgery.

“I was desperate to play in this game,” he said. “Your lengths in one-day cricket have to be a little bit shorter, so I wanted to get back to trying to hit the top of the stumps.

“Getting wickets is a big confidence boost for me. My rhythm wasn't there in early season, but I'm fine now.

“The pink ball held together well but it seemed to go soft quickly, so I think the jury is still out. Moeen Ali said he struggled to time it because it wasn't coming off the pitch.

“It felt good in my hands when it was new but you really have to make the most of it. I'd say there is too big a difference between when it's new and when it's old.”

Wood sympathised with his England team-mate Ben Stokes, who finished with none for 81, saying: “He has been really unlucky over the last two days with a lot of runs going to third man.”

Having already taken three of the wickets when Worcestershire resumed on 213 for four, Wood knocked out Ed Barnard's off stump with his seventh delivery with the new ball then forced last man Josh Tongue to fend a catch to short leg.

Off-spinner Ryan Pringle took four wickets in an innings for the first time in a championship match at Riverside.

He had been treated with the utmost respect by Glamorgan last week, taking none for 23 in 19 overs when they crawled to 221 for seven on the first day.

By contrast, the first day of this game produced 420 runs and as Worcestershire continued to score briskly yesterday Pringle found himself under attack, conceding 73 in 12 overs.

The floodlights were again on from the 2pm start, but Moeen looked keen to shine in the gloom. When Durham posted a short extra cover he chipped Chris Rushworth over the fielder, but was fortunate as two inside edges took him to 50 off 59 balls.

Brett D'Oliveira, who resumed on 91, drove Rushworth for three through extra cover to complete his 159-ball century then top-edged Stokes's second ball of the day over the wicketkeeper.

When Pringle was introduced D'Oliveira hit him for four to mid-wicket then lifted a no-ball over long-on for six – counting eight – before whacking a full toss straight to cover to depart for 122.

Following the stand of 130, Moeen swiftly followed, missing a sweep in Pringle's next over to fall lbw.

Three wickets had gone down for six runs when George Rhodes, the son of Worcestershire's Director of Cricket Steve Rhodes, sat back to cut and edged to Stuart Poynter.

Ross Whiteley was on one when he drove Pringle for a straight six as he and Ben Cox stopped the rot with a stand of 73.

In Pringle's final over before the new ball was due Whiteley tried to heave him over mid-wicket and was bowled for 43. Wood did the rest, leaving Cox unbeaten on 32.