About Cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies.

History

WAR STORY: The front of the ration book which belonged to Jane Ross of Sadberge

A ration book and a ghost story

LAW AND ORDER: Before it became the Duplex garage and showroom on Grange Road, this was Darlington's first purpose-built police station, with subterranean cells. It opened on August 24, 1846. In the early 1990s, it was dismantled and rebuilt

From the Archive: Lost Darlington

RIVER DAYS: This picture was taken on August 6, 1964, when warm weather gave Barnard Castle youngsters to enjoy the new dam that had just been constructed in the Tees by the river board. The castle forms the main backdrop, but peeping above the treetops t

From the Archive: Barnard Castle

RENACTMENT: A play four years ago told the story of Pte Simpson’s heroism on the Gallipoli beaches

The incredible bravery of one man and his donkey

FLOAT ON: "Pushus No 20,000" seems to be a comic take on "Hush Hush No 10,000" in this photograph from the Darlington Railwaymen's Carnival, probably from 1930 when Hush Hush was new on the tracks

How Pushus came to Hush, and other railway-related stories

HEADLINE NEWS: From The Northern Echo of April 1, 1915

100 years since Darlington's first "lady councillor" was elected

ELECTION DAY DRAMA: Whessoe Parish Hall found itself catapulted into the national headlines on May 7 when the Ukip candidate was cut off the Darlington ballot paper

Whessoe's 15 minutes of election fame

OLD SALT: A boat in Whitby Harbour caught the Old Skipper's eye

From the Old Skipper's Archive: Part 2

THE HIPPODROME (1909-1966): Now a bingo hall, this picture was taken when it was part of the Essoldo group – The Longest Day film, which is advertised on the wall, was released in 1962. The rare photo will be included in Tom Hutchinson's latest book on

The lost cinemas of Bishop Auckland

ON THE GREEN: The white building on the left is the former Hurworth post office but when this picture was taken in June 1971, it was being used by Sherwoods. Behind Wild's wagon, which is turning into what is now Greenside Court, can be seen two petrol pu

Posting a letter to Sherwoods in Hurworth

CIGAR CARTOON: Winston Churchill, and an unusual V sign, was the main illustration on the Evening Despatch's front page on May 8, 1945

How we celebrated VE Day 70 years ago

GOING DOWN: The sinking of the Lusitania on May 7, 1915, from the Illustrated London News

"The Darlington survivors of the Lusitania murder" 100 years ago

DOCUMENT SALE: A letter about the demise of the Skerne Ironworks is at next week's Darlington Book Fair

The rise and fall of the Skerne

CHARMING FARM: John Young's painting of what Little Burdon looked like in its heyday, with the main road between Darlington and Stockton running past its front door

Large mystery about Little Burdon

LIFE IN HEADLINES: Fred Rayner's story in the Darlington and Stockton Times in 1938

From the Old Skipper's archive: Darlington in the 1930s

BY-ELECTION BUST-UP: Mr Spence, left, during the Darlington March 1983 by-election after he'd switched from Labour to the SDP/Liberal Alliance. In the centre is former Labour Foreign Secretary David Owen and right is the Alliance's candidate in Darlington

Colourful and controversial – meet "Mr Darlington"

READING ROOM: The newspaper stands in the Middlesbrough Winter Garden

A winter's tale in Middlesbrough

ANZAC: Pte Harry Taylor, who landed on Gallipoli 100 years ago today

A corner of the Tees Valley that's forever Anzac

MARKET DELIVERY: The Ford wagon delivering fruit and veg to Bishop Auckland market on August 30, 1968

Of cappuccinos and kings in Bishop Auckland

DLI HEADQUARTERS: Until 1960, the grounds of Brancepeth Castle contained a large army camp

The castle with a VC winner's gun

SPRING SCENE: Looking east towards St Mary’s Church, in Staindrop, with daffodils pushing through and a Morris Thousand Traveller on April 15, 1971. On the corner of Queens Head Wynd is a Methodist chapel that was demolished about 30 years ago

From the Archive: Staindrop, "the fanlight village"

book cover Araf Chohan

From the Archive: Middlesbrough St Hilda's

OLD FARMHOUSE: Arnold Cockburn had his garage, on Newton Lane, Cockerton, on the right of this house

In search of the Edens

CLASS OF 1912-14: The Bede pupils, with the Durham college buildings in the background, who fought at Gravenstafel Ridge. The big chap in the centre of the back row next to a standard is Herbert Tustin

When the Bede boys took on the Kaiser

FIREMARK: The Globe plate on Little Burdon farm

A church built for tourists

HELL & BACK: Eddie Straight, a Teesside war hero, now 94, whose military service took him from Saltburn into the blitz, Buckingham Palace, Belsen and the Burmese jungle  Picture: SARAH CALDECOTT

Eyes that have seen the horrors of Belsen and changed a man forever

OLD BRIDGE: The Newton Cap road bridge was built in 1400 by Bishop Walter Skirlaw, although man had crossed the Wear at this spot for many centuries. There's a pitheap on the top of the bank in the background, and in the foreground is a cart on which is p

From the Archive: Bishop Auckland

QUAKERS' KEEPER: Charles Craven, who led the Darlington protests

How Sunderland beat Darlington in the most disgraceful football match

EYES UP: Duncan Bannatyne views The End, which was found in the old projector room in August 1989

What Duncan Bannatyne found at the Regent

OFF TO CAMP: The 8th Darlington's trek cart is loaded up in 1944

A century of scouting on Cockerton Green

EDWARDIAN HURWORTH: Looking east along the Green with the outline of All Saints Church in the distance. On the left, with the chickens on the grass outside, is the original Hurworth Post Office. Next to it, is a narrow lane which is the entrance to the fi

Swept away by Sherwoods

BATTERED BEAUTY: A brilliant picture, which is unfortunately showing the ravages of time, with Durham castle and cathedral in the background and the cantilevers of Milburngate bridge beginning to reach out across the river. There is no date on the back, b

From the archive: Durham City

A period piece on display at Tennants in Leyburn from May 2 to May 8

Swirling fashions of the Swinging Sixties

Windlestone: "Even the dead cannot lie in peace"

Windlestone: "Even the dead cannot lie in peace"

AYCLIFFE ADMINISTRATION: Joyce Bateman (nee Graham) is on the right of the back row of this late Second World War picture of the office staff at the munitions factory

Life in wartime at Aycliffe

Northgate on a murky day in March 1938. On the left, the newly-opened Regal cinema is showing a Gary Cooper film. On the right, Darlington Snooker Club with White Brothers motorcycle dealership beneath it

From the Archive: Darlington

ON THE MARCH: The Shildon men march through Darlington on March 13,1983, led by Labour parliamentarians and a strange chap in sunglasses and a dark bowler hat

On the march with the wagonworkers of Shildon

PLEASE BET EARLY: The old betting hatches at Coundon greyhound stadium can still be seen

On the buses and the charabancs

FOR SALE: Sockburn Hall at Neasham, near Darlington

The life and times of Sockburn Hall and its dragon

Items from the Sherwoods Scrapbook

On safari with Sherwoods' Vivas

AERIAL VIEW: Northallerton Prison is an island defended by a brick wall in this Picture from October 1968. A House of Correction was first built in the town in 1783 on top of a swamp which doubled as a rubbish dump. The prison closed in 2013

From the Archive: Northallerton

Sir Anthony Carlisle, born in Old Stillington in 1768

Extraordinary life of the king's Surgeon Extraordinary

JUBILEE MEMORY: The stone commemorating the Golden Jubilee of Queen Victoria, the Countess of Sadberge, on the village green

The reservoir stone

Girls and their Pigtails: a series of outrages in Darlington

Girls and their Pigtails: a series of outrages in Darlington

BIRD'S EYE: Darlington Town Hall and the inner ring road are being built in the late 1960s. On the right, beside the bridge over the River Skerne, builders' huts occupy the site of the 12th Century Bishop's Palace. The lane between the Town Hall and the t

Digging in the past of the palace in Darlington

DAY OF DOOM: Men leave the Shildon Wagon Works on April 15, 1982, having been told that all 1,750 of them were to lose their jobs

From the Archive: Shildon Wagon Works

OUT OF THE WOODS: Durham's Forest Charter of 1217

Law and liberty: Durham and Magna Carta

HEN HOUSE: Featherstone's bus which ended up in a field near Hamsterley

Of Featherstone's buses, an NSU Max and the ghost of Black Man's Corners

Greatham Airport flies again

From the Archive: Richmond Meet

From the Archive: Richmond Meet

Keep in touch with local news

Sign up for email alerts

Most read stories

  • 1

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

Research local amenities