NEWCASTLE UNITED’S summer spending won’t stop when the new Premier League season starts this weekend – and long-term target Clement Grenier has again reiterated his desire to leave Lyon this summer.
The Magpies have been busy in the transfer window with Alan Pardew bringing in nine players, although Jamaal Lascelles and Karl Darlow have been immediately loaned back to Nottingham Forest.
Pardew’s side get their campaign underway at home to Manchester City on Sunday and despite a significant outlay so far there is a feeling Newcastle still aren’t done with their summer recruitment drive.
Another striker remains top of the list, although other areas could be strengthened if the right player comes along at the right price.
Pardew reiterated that feeling at the club’s open training session at St James’ Park on Tuesday and yesterday long-term midfield target Grenier reaffirmed his desire to leave Lyon.
“I asked at the end of the season, even before we know the future of the coach, Remi Garde, if it were possible to go to another club to play with more continuity, but I did not say I want to go away at all costs,” the midfielder told France Football magazine.
“I simply think that it can be the right time to try a new experience.”
Newcastle had a bid for the attacking midfielder rejected in January in the wake of Yohan Cabaye’s move to Paris St Germain, but their interest has never really gone away.
Given the arrivals of Remy Cabella and Siem de Jong, Pardew isn’t short of attacking options with Yoan Gouffran, Moussa Sissoko and the emerging Rolando Aarons also at his disposal, so it remains to be seen whether a move for Grenier would be given the go ahead.
There are other top flight clubs monitoring the French international’s situation with Arsenal and Southampton both said to be interested.
The Gunners have also been linked with a move for Cheick Tiote this week with suggestions mounting that the Ivory Coast midfielder is trying to engineer a move away from Tyneside.
Tiote only featured in one of Newcastle’s pre-season games – the 1-0 win at Sheffield Wednesday - and is a doubt for Sunday’s opening game with a hamstring injury.
Reports have emerged that the Tynesiders are already compiling a list of potential replacements, including Barcelona’s Alex Song, although several clubs across Europe are also interested in the former Arsenal man.
At 28, Newcastle could be willing to cash in on Tiote should they receive a decent offer and the World Cup star would be a cheaper alternative to Arsene Wenger’s other targets, Sami Khedira and William Carvalho.
The Gunners have already paid £12m to Newcastle for right-back Mathieu Debuchy, who revealed he didn’t have to think twice about moving to the north London outfit.
“When my agents told me Arsenal were interested, I said yes straight away!” Debuchy said.
“There was no question, no debate, no doubt, nothing! You don’t turn down a club like Arsenal. A lot of players would like to be in my shoes right now.
“This is another dimension. If you compare the training grounds for example, nothing at Lille or Newcastle can match the Arsenal one. It is another world.
“Everything here is made to optimise your preparation and you as a player. So you can be in the best condition to play and win football games.
“It was the right time for me to make this big step forward and this big move.”
The Magpies have strengthened their defensive options by signing Daryl Janmaat and Lascelles, although the latter won’t be available until next season.
Newcastle are one of several clubs credited with an interest in Liverpool’s Sebastian Coates, although they are only likely to sign another defender should one of their own leave.